Look Familiar .....Snow

halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Look Familiar .....Snow

Post by halifax1 »

Yes - admit to that faux pas - my apologies - but no ladies present thankfully!!

But I see Dennis is now picking on me!! I think I will take my stumps home. :oops:
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

I think I will take my stumps home
Halifax,

I'm thinking you will find the ball jammed between 'middle & left'. .......... a bit like our Aussie team at present. Thank God we are playing the Poms ........... and will get another crack at em!
I'm thinking of making a comeback .......... used to play 'inside left' and then got moved to 'left right out' ...... so I retired ...... oops! that was football, sorry.
Kitty
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

K for Kitty Crew wrote:
I think I will take my stumps home
Halifax,

I'm thinking you will find the ball jammed between 'middle & left'. .......... a bit like our Aussie team at present. Thank God we are playing the Poms ........... and will get another crack at em!
I'm thinking of making a comeback .......... used to play 'inside left' and then got moved to 'left right out' ...... so I retired ...... oops! that was football, sorry.
Kitty
I thought you meant you were a stump John! Now I understand what you mean I can see you probably didn't have the bails for it! :roll: :roll:
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
Denonline
BC Veteran
BC Veteran

Post by Denonline »

Hi John, you are bringing out the sports interest in me, I had a friend who played at Wembely several times, he was a drummer in the military band that played there. :) :)

Likewise I was once a right back---," behind the goal at Wembley" :?

It's the way I tellem. :)

Uno Ooo.
Last edited by Denonline on Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

ME453 wrote:Love that picture of the Battle Steve. The dip in the aerial wire is interesting from a modeller's point of view too.
Hello mate,

Better view of aerial, but poor photograph. :(
Attachments
IMG00119-20101209-0906.JPG
IMG00119-20101209-0906.JPG (446.02 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

I wouldnt say that Smudge! Thats a cracking photo to those of us who collect and research insignia. The chap on the ground is wearing a sleeve full showing from top, the shoulder eagle, the brass 'Winged Bullet' air gunners trade badge, the wireless operators sleeve badge and finally the Leading Aircraftman rank badge.

The winged bullet was introduced in 1923 as a trade badge, and was only replaced in December 1939 with the 'AG' air gunners half wing. Surprisingly, considering it was worn for 17 years, photos of it being worn are pretty scarce. The wireless operators badge (technically a telecommunications badge as it was also worn by ground operators) shows the was a wireless operator / air gunner, and also that he was a leading aircraftman. In the early days, air gunners were part - time (hence the fact that the winged bullet was a trade and not an aircrew badge), and low ranks, thus its quite common to see up to the very start of the war, Aircraftman, Leading Aircraftman and Corporal gunners. From December 1939 the AG brevet was introduced and soon after an Air Ministry Order that all aircrew be of the rank of at least Sergeant.

The same bloke is also wearing standard service dress (pre battledress days) with no Mae West, while his companion wears a Sidcot suit.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Nice one Alex, we can always rely on you to give us the specifics .................. and I can tell you that they are greatly appreciated. ( I'm learning all the time)
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Thanks Alex,

I was not aware of that, the chap passing up the parachute to Sgt Farmer was 21-year-old LAC Alfred Taylor, who was sadly killed on May 14th 1940 while attacking the bridges at Douzy in Battle Mk.I L5235 HA-W, his pilot was Rhodesian P/O Imrie. I have a photograph of their crash landed Battle in a file.

Thanks again

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

And to you Steve, ...............
the chap passing up the parachute to Sgt Farmer was 21-year-old LAC Alfred Taylor, who was sadly killed on May 14th 1940 while attacking the bridges at Douzy in Battle Mk.I L5235 HA-W, his pilot was Rhodesian P/O Imrie. I have a photograph of their crash landed Battle in a file.

I was not aware of those details, either.
Thanks, mate.
John
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

Pleasure, glad to be able to add something. Whilst uniform or insignia isnt everyone's taste, it can help to pin down dates of photos almost to a month sometimes 8-)