467 Sqn 'Ton Up' Lanc

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

467 Sqn 'Ton Up' Lanc

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Here is a photo of a 'ton up' lanc, in fact R5868 from 467 RAAF Squadron completed 144 operations and survived the war.
Photo from the very large book, 'An Illustrated History of the RAF' by Roy Conyers Nesbit. Think Max will like this one.
467 Lanc.jpg
467 Lanc.jpg (87.32 KiB) Viewed 10775 times
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: 467 Sqn 'Ton Up' Lanc

Post by ME453 »

That's a lovely photo John - so much detail there of interest. Courtesy of Phil Bonner I have copies of all the Waddington photo albums on cd, with several different pictures of R5868. Note that this one was taken when she just had the normal squadron codes on the fuselage in dull red, prior to the 5 Group practice of outlining the letters in yellow and adding the aircraft letter on the fin. This was introduced some time in mid-1944 when daylight ops. became more of a norm. It's a shame that the yellow outlining on Sugar now in her preserved state is so thick, totally wrong! This is how it should be:

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

John

Nice photo (especially to see in the early codes), but a bit generous with the ops tally! She supposedly did 137 going by the bombs on her nose. You can see the thicker code outline here too as mentioned by Max. An interesting history of her can be found at http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/coll ... 0R5868.pdf
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

I have the adjacent shot to John's opening picture as my desktop. It was taken a couple of minutes before or after it. Same people, same places but slightly different poses and a different angle. It's no wonder that they can't get the number of missions right as they don't even know when it actually flew its 100th sortie.

I've had a personal interest in this aircraft and have researched her career for a few years. The highlight was when I finally was able to see her at Hendon. Even given permission to cross the ropes to get closer but not close enough to board her. That was a very nice and obliging attendant on that day. What I'd like to see is a walkway around the Bomber Hall so that you can look down onto the aircraft. I suppose they are worried the idiots would drop things on the aircraft.
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Like they have in the AWM at Canberra then with G George?

Mind you, there's a few dodgy looking characters sitting underneath:

Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I believe that there is a part raised area - near the B17? Or am I having a senior moment. I have an idea too that the Hendon Lanc. is pretty bare inside - a lot of instruments etc.taken for refurb. of the BoB Lanc. And possibly elsewhere.

The yellow surround of course is a prime example of how unreliable some museum pieces are for research - partucularly if they have been restored.

I believe that a number of aircraft are suspended from the roof at Duxford - with U/C retracted and prop blades removed. I have an aversion to this method of display. Some have a high gloss finish too - YUK.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Mind you, there's a few dodgy looking characters sitting underneath:

Don't know about dodgy - the men are pretty scruffy!!

And by the way the Wop's window is in the wrong position.
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

The highlight was when I finally was able to see her at Hendon. Even given permission to cross the ropes to get closer but not close enough to board her. That was a very nice and obliging attendant on that day. What I'd like to see is a walkway around the Bomber Hall so that you can look down onto the aircraft. I suppose they are worried the idiots would drop things on the aircraft.
I've been able to have a look inside on three occasions, although on each ive not been lucky with the camera. My first was without flash, not realising at the time that the interior lighting was not enough, the second when I had about ten minutes notice, and the third I cant remember why I had no camera! The last time I was shown inside by someoone from the 'office' who knew next to nothing about the aircraft. As I left I noticed a huge dent in the rear of the starboard undercarriage nacelle, which I think has since been repaired

But its a bit gutted inside an parts, I'd assume for parts for PA474. I remember sitting in the front turret and waggling both guns up and down independently of each other!
I believe that there is a part raised area - near the B17? Or am I having a senior moment.
I wont be rude! :D No, you are quite correct David, there is a mock control tower in front of the B17 (which I watched fly over my house as it arrived from the US en route to nearby Northolt - the B17 that is not the control tower!)

Although there are some aircraft suspended in the American Air Museum at Duxford, none have props removed and most have the undercarriage down. I agree though that it can be frustrating from a viewing and photography point of view. I think those suspended from the roof of the 'Milestones of Flight' building at the RAF Museum have the undercarriage up.

As for the Aussie Lanc, what did you mean by the line 'And by the way the Wop's window is in the wrong position.'?? :?
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Max, What are we doing wrong? Your photos are complete with no need to scroll the buttons be we simple folk ( speaking about myself, of course ) am still fixed into the dark ages.
Please shine the light, mate.
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by kookabat »

John,
It's about using the [ i m g ] codes (without the spaces) rather than uploading to the forum itself. You need to upload your photos to some place on the web (eg Photobucket) first. Then when you are in the 'posting' screen, click the 'Img' button. Paste the address of the link for the photo between the two IMG tags and Robert's yer mother's brother.

eg [ img]http://www.photobucket.com/KforKitty3.jpg[/img]

(remove space after [)

Adam
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com