Anyone for the Grand National?

PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Anyone for the Grand National?

Post by PAFG »

I've been intrigued for a while by references to 'Goodwood' and 'Derby' numbers in operation orders. 'Goodwood' clearly seemed to correspond to 'Maximum Effort' operations, but without a definition it's impossible to know what is being ordered - and how does it differ to 'Derby'?

I've finally found definitions in BC ORB Appendices for August 1942 (Air 24/246). There's a bit more to it than I'd expected!

There are a couple of things that speak '1942' in this instruction (description of 'Emergency' echoes experience with the 'Channel Dash' and the 'Grand National' links in to the 1,000 bomber raids). However, I’m pretty sure this instruction was still extant for the Berlin period (Nov 43 to Mar 44). I’ve not yet spotted any updates or amendments to this instruction in the months following.
1. The following instructions summarise and are to be substituted for all relevant previous instructions on this subject.

STATES OF READINESS
2. At any given time one of three states of readiness for bomber operations will be in existence - BLACK, WHITE or EMERGENCY.

BLACK
This state is in force when good weather is not expected during the next 24 hours. Operations will normally be limited to mining and day and night attacks using T.R. with cloud cover. If, however, the weather should show unexpected improvement, operations up to GOODWOOD scale, involving the operational squadrons only, may be ordered. The O.T.U.s and Conversion Flights and Units are to continue their normal routine and the operational squadrons should concentrate as far as possible on training and the maintenance of their aircraft.

WHITE
4. This state will normally be brought into force between 1700 hours and 1900 hours in the evening on a report by the Senior Meteorological Officer of this H.Q. (after consultation with the Group Met Officers) that there is a high expectation of fine weather for the following night. All Groups including the O.T.U. Groups will prepare for a large scale operation on receipt of the order to come to stat of readiness WHITE. At 0930 hours the following morning the large scale operation will be confirmed, reduced in scale or cancelled. If the large scale operation is confirmed and the weather deteriorates during the day the contingents from the O.T.U.s and Conversion flights and Units will be cancelled, and the operation reduced to a normal GOODWOOD from the operational Groups.

EMERGENCY
5. This will be put into force when some sudden emergency (probably Naval) arises without warning and which requires the whole or substantial portion of the Command to take part at short notice in special operations.

CHANGES IN THE STATE OF READINESS
6. Changes in the state of readiness will be notified by telephone message to Group Operations Rooms, confirmed by Signal.
The states of readiness BLACK or EMERGENCY remain in force until they are altered.
WHITE remains i force if the large scale operation is postponed but automatically reverts to BLACK if the operations is cancelled or when a scale of effort below GRAND NATIONAL is called for.

SCALE OF EFFORT
7. The following Code Words are used to indicate the scale of effort required:-

AINTREE
(i) Indicates one third of the available aircraft with crews.

EPSOM
(ii) Indicates half of the available aircraft with crews.

ASCOT
(iii) Indicates two thirds of the available aircraft with crews.

DERBY
(iv) Indicates the maximum effort from operational squadrons excluding crews which have operated on both of the two previous nights and crews screened for training, re-equipping or for any similar purpose.

GOODWOOD
(v) Indicates the maximum possible effort from Operational Squadrons, including all suitable ‘freshmen’. All crews whether screened for training, re-equipping or for any similar purpose, irrespective of the number of previous consecutive nights on which they have operated are to be employed.

GRAND NATIONAL
(vi) GOODWOOD from operational squadrons, supplemented by contingents from the Conversion Flights and Units and O.T.U.s and all operationally fit crews with aircraft from squadrons re-equipping or training. O.T.U. crews are to be made up of instructional staffs and pupil crews at A.O.C.’s discretion. A proportion of instructors may be included in Conversion Flight and Unit crews.

8. The scale of effort which is required for the night’s operations will be indicated by passing the appropriate code word to Group Operations Rooms at 0930 hours each morning. Numbers available are known from ‘Form G’ but when the scale of effort is indicated Group Commanders are required to make any adjustments which are necessary and confirm the numbers which are bein supplied in accordance with the code word instruction through their Operations Rooms.

9. The previous instructions on the significance of these code words are cancelled.

[Signed] AVM R Saundby
Just for completeness, here's a specimen Consolidated Form G. This one's for 1800 hours on 21st November 1943 - i.e. the 'Offer' from the operational Groups:
Nov Appendices p49.jpg
Nov Appendices p49.jpg (52.2 KiB) Viewed 6271 times
In this instance, the 'Offer' was 'accepted' the following morning through Form A, which ordered a GOODWOOD for the second major raid of the Battle of Berlin (22/23 November 1943):
Nov Appendices p35.jpg
Nov Appendices p35.jpg (67.31 KiB) Viewed 6271 times
Cheers,

Richard