S/L William "Jacko" Grierson DFC AFC

This Section is dedicated to our Veterans of all the Branches of the Armed Forces whose death have been recently recorded.
'Lest we forget'.
paul61
Sergeant
Sergeant

S/L William "Jacko" Grierson DFC AFC

Post by paul61 »

S/L William “Jacko” Grierson DFC AFC

Yet again, I'm sad to report the loss of another 35 sqdn. friend, Bill Grierson-Jackson, "Jacko".
Bill was a brilliant pioneer Pathfinder Navigator, he developed many of the navigation aids & technics used by main force from early 1942, til war's end.
Bill's book, "We Band Of Brothers", is an excellent account of the early days of BC heavies and the PFF, along with the sometimes insanity that was the RAF.
Bill survived all 3 of the 1942 suicidal low level raids on Tirpitz.
His pilot, Air Commadore Peter Cribb, once described their bombing height as, "Measured in Fathoms....not feet" !
He was most fortunate to complete his 50 op tour in the early and most deadly PFF days, all in his beloved a/c, the Halifax Mk.2.
Bill became the Nav. officer on 35, and went on to serve in this capacity @ 8 Group H.Q.
Bill, myself, and the local 35 sqdn gang here, shared many a pint, and a few "friendly battles", regarding his memories vs. the sqdn's operations records....etc!
These were great times spent with Bill and I shall miss him.
Bill Grierson-Jackson (he dropped the Jackson part, post war) was a genius....and a "character" (he earned his master's BEFORE joining the RAF).
Jacko was someone whom you'd never forget, once you had been in his company.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/theled ... =153371877

My sincere condolences to the Grierson family.
Paul Gribbons
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: S/L William "Jacko" Grierson DFC AFC

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Paul, our thoughts are with you and S/L William “Jacko” Grierson DFC AFC and the Grierson family.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: S/L William "Jacko" Grierson DFC AFC

Post by PAFG »

Thanks for the link Paul, he was an amazing man.