Dennis Over

This Section is dedicated to our Veterans of all the Branches of the Armed Forces whose death have been recently recorded.
'Lest we forget'.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: Dennis Over

Post by ME453 »

A remembrance from yesterday's funeral. It was a simple, quiet cremation, about 20 attendees including representatives from British Airways (an air hostess) and the RAF. Sadly Dennis' old skipper, Johnny Meagher was unable to come due to ill health:

Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thank you very much for representing those of us, Max.
We will remember Dennis Leonard William Over.
Regards,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Thank you for posting that Max.

Those of us that are so far away dearly would have liked to be there :cry:

Farewell Dennis.
Charles
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Charles »

Have only just seen this.
Very sad to hear the news about Dennis. I remember his posts on the LAF with great affection. There was so much detail, I always thought that they should be edited together into a book.
I don't suppose there is any way of getting hold of what must be a vast archive of information locked up with our Canadian friend?
Do you have any ideas, Max?

Best wishes to all
Charles
www.dambustersblog.com
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Sadly not Charles. Jim Cave, over in Canada, was particularly upset about the way that Larry Wright suddenly pulled the plug on LAF, not so much because of the Forum per se but because of the invaluable content, like Dennis' posts, on there which is lost. Jim has spoken to Larry about the possibility of access but with no success. I've got a few "Dennis Gems" on file which I thought particularly useful for my research but there's much more. As his son said to me, " Dennis tells a good story."
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

ME453 wrote:Sadly not Charles. Jim Cave, over in Canada, was particularly upset about the way that Larry Wright suddenly pulled the plug on LAF, not so much because of the Forum per se but because of the invaluable content, like Dennis' posts, on there which is lost. Jim has spoken to Larry about the possibility of access but with no success. I've got a few "Dennis Gems" on file which I thought particularly useful for my research but there's much more. As his son said to me, " Dennis tells a good story."
Max
Hello gentlemen,

If I remember correctly, Larry often asked for 'contributions' from members to help pay for the annual costs of the forum and I know of at least one gent ( from this forum ) contacted me about making a donation and I know it was made.

My point being, the members have a right to request details from Larry and this point about members ( contributing ) should be made to him, to drive home the fact it would be extremely poor of him to not fill a request, as such.

How hard is it to click on a member and extract their details ............... child's play.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Good point John, I made such a contribution to the LAF on at least one occasion so it may be worthwhile me contacting Larry with such a request.
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
PeteT
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by PeteT »

I have also contacted Larry to see if the content could be made available, possibly as an archive which could be accessed through a forum such as this. As I am not a techie, I do not know how practical this is ..... but I too miss the valuable content that was there.

I hope we can find a solution, but as the lostaircraft site has proven, there are no guarantees with the internet

Regards
Researching:
CA Butler, flight engineer Lancaster ME334 (KIA over Bonn with 35 PFF on 4th Febuary 1945) http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/
Ground Crew and Aircrew Training WWII
"The History of No 35 Squadron" http://35squadron.wordpress.com/
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

So did you have a response from Larry Pete, if so what was it, or did he ignore you? As John has pointed out from a forum Moderator's position it's not difficult to find one person's posts so that"s a start at least!
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
PeteT
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by PeteT »

Max

It was a while ago now since I floated the idea, and I think I did get a response of some kind (but I can't locate it as I lost all my e-mails in a PC crash), but there has certainly been no activity in making it happen.

I did actually contact the administrator on another forum to see if he could work with Larry to get the archive linked; he was enthusiastic about it, but I don't think he ever heard anything back.

As I say, I don't know how the data is stored, who technically "owns it" and whether it is practical (or viable) to link it as an archive to another forum, but it would be good to know that, as researchers, we had done our best to preserve the information for future use, particularly as the number of veterans decreases.

Regards

Pete
Researching:
CA Butler, flight engineer Lancaster ME334 (KIA over Bonn with 35 PFF on 4th Febuary 1945) http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/
Ground Crew and Aircrew Training WWII
"The History of No 35 Squadron" http://35squadron.wordpress.com/