218 Sqn Lancaster NF994 HA-N crash 22nd April 1945

Ludford101
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

218 Sqn Lancaster NF994 HA-N crash 22nd April 1945

Post by Ludford101 »

Wondered if any members had any more than the CWGC info on this crew.... just noticed the write up that Steve has provided for another 218 crew... do you have a section on this crew if so would love some details.
Cheers
Gary
Motto :Mens agitat molem - 'Mind over matter'.

Welfare Secretary 101 Squadron Association
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Re: 218 Sqn Lancaster NF994 HA-N crash 22nd April 1945

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi Gary,

What information are you looking for. Happy to help out.

Regards

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
Ludford101
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Ludford101 »

Hi Steve ... thanks for the offer ... anything that you may have on the Spiers crew would be great... do they get a mention in your squadron history ?.. is there a crew photograph ? ...as from my rather brief search using Chorley et al I see that they were the penultimate crew to be lost from the squadron and I was wondering whether Fl/Lt Spiers was a second tour man ....and the cirumstances of the loss of the aircraft is there any thought of enemy attack or was it engine trouble as stated in chorley.

All the best

Gary

JPR53
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by JPR53 »

Hello Gary,

I can help you a little regarding the enquiry as I have a photo of the remains of NF994 HA-N at Chedburgh. You'll be aware that you can get brief details of the crash from Bomber Command Losses 1945. Sgt Fred Thornton was the only survivor and lived to give his daughter away in May 1982 at Neston Parish Church, Cheshire at my wedding. He died in April 2001 at Arrowe Park Park Hosp. aged 74. His widow, Brenda, still lives in Little Neston, Wirral.
I'll dig out the photo for you (I have it on disc somewhere) and forward it on.
Oh yes, we also have a photo of the remains of 'H' HOWE.

Best Regards,

John Rowlands
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi John

I hope you don't mind but would it be possible for me to have a copy of the crash pics you mentioned please? I am constructing a very detailed 3D model of the Stirling as well as researching a particular aircraft that crashed and missed by sleeping mother by some 50 yards! The model is for an amateur documentary I plan to make about the crash.

While I have many, many pics of Stirlings there are many parts of the aircraft no-one ever seemed to photograph and so I never get to see that particular detail! You can see my model so far on You Tube, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnwG1WHl1Uw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmu_Ww1HiPw

Often though, crash pictures do reveal the parts others don't reach. I can offer you other pictures in return if you have particular interest in certain parts of the plane of some other technical detail you want to know about.

(I tried to send this as a PM but they never seem to want to leave my 'outbox'!! So if you have about 20 or so copies of the same one my apologies!)

Cheers
James
Ludford101
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Ludford101 »

Many thanks John for picking up on this thread and the offer of the photograph ... much appreciated...

Gary