"Careful with me bullet, it hurts"

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

"Careful with me bullet, it hurts"

Post by Nocturna mors »

The family of a World War II veteran have found out just how injured he was after about 6oz (170g) of shrapnel was found following his cremation.
Ronald Brown, who died last week aged 94, was injured in an explosion while serving in France in August 1944.
Medics left the shrapnel in his left leg as it was near an artery and thought it was safer.
His family said his only complaint about his injury was when he asked children not to sit on his knee.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-20001326

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: "Careful with me bullet, it hurts"

Post by R5868 »

If you look carefully at what is in the pile, it suggests that it's a conjob by the crematorium staff. They've just swept up any debris left in the oven. Did they use Phillip's head screws in WW2? I've never seen any. A lot of the other material looks like clips and fittings from the coffin. One bit even looks like part of a bulldog clip. It's hard to image that bundle of wire being left in the leg. Most of it would have been possible to remove. If there was a bullet, it surely would have melted in the fire.
Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Re: "Careful with me bullet, it hurts"

Post by Nocturna mors »

Kerry,
After having a good look at the picture, i believe you are correct. The pile of metal does not appear to be shrapnel etc.

A fine piece of detective work there mate ;)

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!