The trauma of War

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

The trauma of War

Post by Nocturna mors »

It was 35 years after hearing these early stories, following my mother’s death, that I was given a greater insight into what had happened and into what came afterwards. Clearing out our mother’s house, my sister and I came across a box we’d never seen before. Inside, under a pile of our grandparents’ cautious love letters, were envelopes containing documents that revealed much more of the story.
........ I lifted out the final letter in the collection – a welcome back to the “old country” from the king – and then, underneath this, a yellowed newspaper, folded in half. My first thought was that this was just a lining for the base and that it would give us the date for when the box was put together. So I peered at the top of the paper and read out, “County Times and Gazette, June 26th 1954.” The headlines below revealed generally uneventful local news – except for one item: “Platform Tragedy: Man Ran and Then Jumped”. I glanced at the opening paragraph. “A locomotive fireman reported that a man ran across a platform… and jumped in front of an express train.” The inquest jury concluded that the man had taken his life “while of unsound mind”.
..read more http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9656 ... still.html

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!