UK visit summer 2013

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
ME739
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

UK visit summer 2013

Post by ME739 »

Hello to all our UK residents,

I am planning a trip over your way from 23 June till 21 July, and I am looking for suggestions as to what I MUST see while I am there.
So please feel free to give me some ideas please. Obviously I want to do lots of aviation related things, but other suggestions are welcome too (the better half will only take so much plane stuff :) )

Hope to catch up with some of you too.

Cheers,
Neale
"There's No Future In It" by C.Wade Rodgers ex RAAF - 630 Sqn
17 OTU Silverstone, 1654 HCU Wigsley (Stirlings), 5 LFS Syerston
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: UK visit summer 2013

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great stuff, Neale. No doubt with your uncle flying with 630 sqn, you'll want to visit 'Just June" while you are there.
Wish I could join up with you again, like in Canberra.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi Neale,
If you're coming over in the Summer, going on the past few years, make sure you bring your thermal underwear and a good umbrella :lol: . After you've visited "Just June" as mentioned by John, you ought to visit "Just Jane" as well ;) (sorry John, only joking).
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
ME739
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by ME739 »

Thanks Guys, would love to catch up John, maybe after and I can show you my photos :)

Allan, Where I live in Aus is a town called Ballarat, and its notorious for its weather here, so been prepared is a way of life.

Unfortunately I cant get a taxy ride on Just June...err Jane as they are booked out till 2014. But I have booked a seat on the Canadian Lanc on my way home... cant wait.

Cheers, Neale
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

ME739 wrote:Hello to all our UK residents,

I am planning a trip over your way from 23 June till 21 July, and I am looking for suggestions as to what I MUST see while I am there.
Cheers,
Neale
The Bomber command museum Hendon and the new memorial in London would be a good start. If you can squeeze in a visit up North to see any of the old airfields it would be great to soak up the atmosphere. They are fast disappearing under housing estates etc.

One place I would strongly advise not to go near whilst in London is,...Loftus Road, Shepherds Bush. Just in case,... anyone tries to sell you a season ticket on the cheap on your arrival. ;)

Enjoy your visit,...hope the weathers on par.

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Hi Neale - we're due a better summer, so fingers crossed! When in Lincolnshire, I suggest looking in on Louth - it's in the 1 Group area rather than 5 Group, but it's a lovely market town and still full of character. I'm sure everyone has their favourite old airfield - for me, it's got to be Ludford. There's not much to see, but the place itself is still very evocative and the views from up on the Wolds are wonderful. I hope you'll get chance to go up to Elvington to the museum there and then on to York. York's a tourist trap, but with good reason - it's still a great place to visit.

Richard
ME739
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by ME739 »

Thanks Tom,
Hendon and the new Memorial are on the list
but when you say "up north" how far do you mean ?

Is there any football on at that time of year ?

Cheers, Neale
ME739
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by ME739 »

Hello Richard,

We were trying to book accommodation very close to Louth but I dont know how that is going, when I have places booked I will post the details here.
I normally hate the tourist traps but I guess "while you are there"...
Will be going to have a look at Goodwood festival (an other interest) and will be going to RAF airshow at Waddington first weekend in July and Duxford and Old Warden too.... gee might need a longer holiday !! :D

Cheers mate.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Make sure you leave some time to visit us in Dorset Neale, you can join Richard and me for a cup of coffee and a slice of cake at our favourite garden centre!
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
ME739
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by ME739 »

Hello all,
I made it and am getting a good dose of aviation. Been to EK twice and seen the BBMF Lanc fly over both times. Got a tour through "Just Jane" all on my own (because I was last one there on the day). Been to Airshow at Waddington on Saturday, what a great day (more BBMF Lanc) followed by 57/630 association dinner on Sat. Night chatting to some of those who were there at Petwood Hotel then to Service at EK on Sunday meeting more people.... Been to a lot of the old airfields around here as well... Got to Louth too, and Skeggy and Lincoln and still got 2weeks to go.
Max, any chance of catching Richard friday ?

Having a great time, Neale