Goodwin sands Do17 seabed salvage

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Re: Goodwin sands Do17 seabed salvage

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Dear both,

I think it is fair to say that there will never be a Short Stirling found that will be either cost effective to recover or in a condition warranting it, especially if found in salt water. We can live in hope but it’s a false hope in my opinion.

Guy, I think we have to agree to disagree my friend. I don’t think there is anything more satisfying or poignant than seeing a fully restored aircraft, whether static or flying finished to it original “war-time” configuration. A point in question was the recent restoration of Spitfire Mk I P3974 found in the sands of Dunkirk, please see link http://markonepartners.co.uk/spitfire-i

I agree recovery is important and should actively be undertaken when possible; however I do not believe that the Do17 was worthy of the considerable amount of money spent on its recovery. Considerably more is going to be spent on limiting the corrosion and deterioration only to have it shown as a “wreck”

Recovery on this scale yes but only if full restoration was the prime aim, anything less is in my opinion is a waste of money. We have a number of unique restoration projects here in the UK in urgent need of funds, the Hampden & Blenheim are just two example. I for one given a choice would have donated the money to the Panton Brothers to get Just Jane airworthy. What better way to entice and motivate a new generation of supporters !!

Cheers
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Having seen the condition it's in, Battle of Britain relic or not, i just can't get excited about it, and i'm usually a great believer in this type of recovery work. I have to agree with Steve's comments.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Hi Guys,

It would be a very boring world if we all shared the same tastes and beliefs. I do love seeing pristine flyers, hearing Merlins and big radials, but to me a wreck is a much more emotional experience. As said, all need to be viewed together to complete the picture.

Now sadly with fewer and fewer veterans around, and none from WWI, we must do all we can to preserve the past. History, written by modern historians can never give a true contemporary view, how ever well it is done. The same goes for rebuilds that contain very few original parts. A snapshot in time recovered from 1940 does put you in touch with the very human aspect of the era.

I agree wholeheartedly that funding should be carefully spent, and that there are very many deserving projects elsewhere. It must be a nigh on impossible task to try and cater for everyone's individual desires. It's not a job that I would want, you would forever be caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place!

Once this aircraft has been put on public display, it should prove to be a huge draw for aviation enthusiasts the world over, it is unique, and so many will put in a special effort to see it. The conservation team within the museum will learn a great deal dealing with this artefact, which will stand them in good stead for any future recoveries, in turn helping the UK remain a centre of excellence in this field.

Given the state of the Titanic, it will not be very long until nothing remains to be recovered from the sea. Then we really will have to concentrate on what we already have.
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

GuyMassey wrote:It really is in astonishing condition having been submerged in salt water for 70 years! Sad to say that although hundreds of Stirlings and other allied aircraft must also lie at the bottom of the North Sea and Channel, I doubt whether any are so intact.
What amazes me is, this aircraft is quite intact although quite corroded. After 70 years of channel storms, strong currents and submerged in relatively shallow salt water,.......this flimsy "flying pencil" survived intact!
I don't think this aircraft is a "one off" find either. There is the north Wales P38 Lightning in similar condition.
There is a good possibility judging by the condition of the DO17 that there are hundreds of ditched a/c in similar states of preservation in the Channel or North sea area.
The Baltic sea is another area to look, Its the best chance of a finding preserved a/c wrecks as the water salinity is very low.

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
Denonline
BC Veteran
BC Veteran

Post by Denonline »

I believe we owe it to history to ensure that we recover & retain as many WW2 artefacts as possible.

As to the possibility of ever finding a Stirling, I again believe that the eastern approach over the Goodwin Sands (graveyard of many ditchings) to the emergency airfield at Manston offers one of the best places to start searching if fundings were to become avallable.

Dennis