Getting old and grumpy, or rightfully hacked off....

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Getting old and grumpy, or rightfully hacked off....

Post by AlanW »

Over the last year, i've noticed on site forums that i visit on a daily basis, that there are a lot of people lately, that post requests for info, and after getting what they want (sometimes more than asked for) they do not have the courtesy to leave any sort of thanks. They do not seem to realise, that by clicking on their usernames, you can actually see how many times they have visited to read any answers given. I now (possibly turning into a grumpy git) have a habit of seeing their visits, and if no thanks are forthcoming, i delete my information. Having said that, i have never ever, had to result to doing it on this great forum :)
My rant today, has been brought forth, because after leaving a very long reply and list of ops, which i had to go through an ORB for, to a request for information on another site i am closely involved with. The person had visted my reply on 9 separate occasions, until i deleted it yesterday. Today, i see that he's posted a message, saying that, he "thought" "THOUGHT" (after 9 visits) he had seen a reply, but had left it to read later, but it had disappeared, and could it be re-posted again :x
Do i have a good reason to be grumpy ? :lol:
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Getting old and grumpy, or rightfully hacked off....

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Alan, knowing the work you put in to research relevant information, you have every right to be peeved with ignorant people.
Unfortunately it does happen but every once in a while, a guest will come along and express gratitude for you efforts, not that we expect but common curtsey by way of a simple 'thank you' for slogging away for umpteen hours, makes it a rewarding experience.

Now Alan, while we are at it, allow me, on behalf of Bruno, fellow Mods and all the members, to take this opportunity in thanking you for your ongoing efforts on this fine forum.
Members, Alan is about to reach 1000 posts on the forum .................... you have help a lot of people and been a good friend to us regulars.
Many thanks for putting up with us and by the way, it is your shout ! ................. Bartender !
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

So - more scrambled egg on the hat required :D Well done Alan and yes, I think I'd agree with you - if you've worked hard researching/writing up in response to a question and the requester doesn't trouble to acknowledge, there's no problem with you deleting it.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

You of course are right to be hacked off.... however.... It is all to easy to be distracted by new info, focused by a train of thought or overwhelmed by things happening in ones life. Often it is only too easy to forget common courtesy unintentionally. Rather than delete a post, a gentle nudge works wonders and the embarrassment caused means that the guilty party often is more thoughtful in the future, to the benefit of all forum users.
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

I'm with you all the way Alan, not only on forums but enquiries made in the guest book of my website. On many occasions like you I've spent several hours researching and posting or emailing information only to be ignored thereafter with no thanks whatsoever. As Richard said recently, it makes you feel like taking your bat home (but we'd best not mention cricket right now to our Aussie friends!). Seriously though, it is very hard to swallow at times, a polite "thank you" is all we need.
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Our society has simply deteriorated. Have you not noticed that in a number of instances the common courtesies like "please" and "thank you" are omitted and many young people (teenagers before PC became fashionable) communicate by neanderthal monosyllabic grunts. We recently visited Wiltshire Devon and Cornwall and were quite surprised (not having been down there for probably 20 years) how like London and the South East those areas have become. One dare not smile at people in the street for no reason other than they are there!

So you see Alan you have simply been the victim of the modern way of doing things and you are simply out of step with most people. Some while ago I opened a door to a shop for a lady. I got a glare and was told "don't patronise me" or words to that effect. i recovered quickly enough to say "Sorry from teh way you were dressed I assumed you were female". Its response was a way of saying "Go forth and multiply"!
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Yes David, I'm afraid it is a contemporary malaise......but there are a few pleasant and considerate people in the West Country!
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

The main thing is, guys - Don't give in to them. Keep up the social niceties as it can become infectious. I make it a point of displaying manners in public and it is usually greeted with a thank you or, as happened yesterday when I offered to hold an errant shopping trolley on a hill while the owner unloaded it into her car, a polite "thank you, but I'll be right." Our school pushes manners at all times and it's great to see 1700 polite teenagers who'll go out of their way to assist someone. It is the only school I've been at where nearly every student, voluntarily, thanks you for the lesson as they leave and this a state school not a private school.
Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
ME739
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by ME739 »

Hello Alan,
Hi Kerry and others,
I have noticed in my very recent travels that niceties appear more prevalent in countries where tipping is a way or rewarding service and I think it sucks (aussie term for not so good). It seems a means to an end rather than it is polite, people will engage you in a short conversation, and everyone wants to visit your country some day. But pay up and leave so we can fit in the next customer. I think the reminder is the best option, also polite but to the point. By the way most places I was in England other than London people seemed to be very good, especially down Dorset way :D

Cheers Neale
"There's No Future In It" by C.Wade Rodgers ex RAAF - 630 Sqn
17 OTU Silverstone, 1654 HCU Wigsley (Stirlings), 5 LFS Syerston
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello Neale, it's 'Other' here.
Good to hear the trip is going well. If your down Dorset way, watch out for low flying motorbike riders with cheeky grins.

Mr I.A.M. Other
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"