For beer connoisseurs

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

For beer connoisseurs

Post by halifax1 »

A stirling beer.......

Brewed by one of our local micro breweries - not tired it yet - but no doubt will be able to force one down..... in the interests of the distribution of knowledge.

It is described as a "malty red bitter with toffee notes(?)". ABV 4.5%.

http://www.beestonbrewery.co.uk/stirling.html
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: For beer connoisseurs

Post by K4KittyCrew »

David, not doubt the summary of the ale will be ..........

A long bodied brew with a short sharp burst of flavour to your wings with a ceiling height of an even dozen.
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME739
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by ME739 »

Well I hate to say it, but, I hope it tastes better than Lancaster and Spitfire, both of which I tried during my recent visit and both I am in no hurry to try again !! :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Neale
"There's No Future In It" by C.Wade Rodgers ex RAAF - 630 Sqn
17 OTU Silverstone, 1654 HCU Wigsley (Stirlings), 5 LFS Syerston
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Never had the chance to try Lancaster, but i am a great fan of Spitfire. A lot depends on the way the landlord treats/keeps it, (unless you're talking about the bottled version) Our landlord is a perfectionist when it comes to real ale, and his Spitfire looks and tastes beautiful, as is all his other ales. Look forward to having a try of the Stirling though.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

halifax1 wrote:- not tired it yet -
You old soak :D
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Well Neale we will make allowances for your unsophisticated palate. These beers do not travel well so cannot be enjoyed in your fair Country. Spitfire comes from Kent which runs a poor second to Norfolk. Lancaster is by Thwaites from Blackburn. Yes.........OK.

To my detriment there are still many pubs in Norfolk who are behind the times by several years so are very careful with the presentation of their beers; if the micro brewery concerned gets bad reports action is taken. Lager is beginning to appear but mainly for the "trippers" (who by the way are thankfully now returning from whence they came).

Where did you try the beers you mention - if a City pub or hotel well no surprises - or was it Dorset..........Oh dear!

You may like B52 - also from a micro brewery - quite light in colour but tasteful.

Yes, note "tired" - that is very ageistso wait until you have senior moments my lad!

By the way sadly Ken Wallis died last Sunday morning - I feel both guilty and cross - have been meaning to go and see him for some time! Just a short while after getting his clasp, about which he was jolly pleased. His engineering ability was amazing - he used one of the rooms in his house (quite large) as a workshop - lathes milling machines etc. aero engines all in situ. He had an airstrip in his garden.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Riding back home to beautiful Dorset tomorrow. Quite enjoyed the Flatlands, even Dereham looked quite interesting yesterday, but I've yet to try any local brew. I'll see what's on offer tonight. Off for a swim.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Excellent - another tripper leaving! Hurrah.

I feel slightly displeased with myself as I forgot you were coming and as our trip is delayed for a day or three we could have met. But it will soon pass.

So you found something "interesting" in Dereham.... what exactly - do tell. But in fairness it is quite good for most things and does have some very interesting history. We are on the North side of Town - a bit in the sticks and coincidentally the Duchess is at Fellbrigg today.

So glad you supported the Rapide - I am plucking up courage to indulge. I am a little surprised however you were allowed on board their rather pristine aeroplane attired as you were - but I suppose travelling on a motor bicycle does restrict ones' wardrobe. And of course ladies always look charming so perhaps you are in the shade?

Safe journey.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

"Excellent - another tripper leaving! Hurrah."

Well most of the locals were very friendly.....in fact the couple who run Felbrigg Lodge were absolutely delightful, as were a farming couple from just south of Norwich who we met there. Dereham, ah yes...slightly tongue in cheek, in fact the only thing I remember about it was the narrow street we had to ride through and the fact that I missed the turning to Quebec Road so had to do a u-turn. I noticed it had a golf club though on, I guess, the north side of town. I was looking for a place to stop there but we went on to N Elmham for a (non-alcoholic) drink stop. We diverted to Little Snoring because I wanted to see the airfield and maybe take some photos of the former base of 515 and 169 Mosquito squadrons, both of whom acted in a bomber support role but we were greeted by "Private Keep Out" notices. Hmmmm. On the other hand, the volunteers at Duxford were SO helpful, even to us bikers, offering to look after our gear, but then of course that's in Essex. Safely ensconced back in the west country now though. :D
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Well there you are......... civilised and lucid! See ... told you so!

Do you also know I always thought Duxford was in Cambridgeshire - strange, perhaps they moved it after the airfield became non operational? North Essex of course is quite nice - not until you get nearer to London that it becomes a little hostile.

Have a vague idea of your route - the golf course is about a mile of so from us - we are a bit further over - the narrow road might have been the High Street or even, if it was near the Church, could have been the beginning of Quebec Road. North Elmham is quite good - we have lunch in the Kings Head occasionally.

Surprised about the notices at Little Snoring - but it is probably because it is the holiday season. The theft rate and also vandalism goes up at this time so some take precautions. You see the philosophy is that is you put a notice up it is easier to defend taking shots at intruders. And it depends how you approach the airfield. Locals tend to take "Private" notices etc.as they find them. There is an interesting village sign and the Church has a memorial window. The airfield is much intact. Several hangers - the remains of the watch tower and quite a bit of "hard surface". the local flying club use it too.

I should have also mentioned that Oulton is close to Sheringham (214 Squadron - sorry) and that still has some runways etc. in situ.