Wellington LP610

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Wellington LP610

Post by AlanW »

It would appear, from todays local paper, that the wreckage of 24 OTU Wellington LP610 (lost on 17th Oct 44) has been found on the sea bed, off Falmouth, Cornwall. Of the 3 Canadians, who were lost, and are recorded on the Runnymede Memorial, Sgt E.J. Post, was only 17 yrs of age.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: Wellington LP610

Post by ME453 »

Is it going to be retrievable Alan? Chorley's entry runs thus:

24 OTU Wellington X LP610 Training

F/O N C Dumont RCAF +, F/S R C Orrock RCAF +, Sgt E J Post RCAF + (where + means killed)

Take off 18.50 Honeybourne for an evening navigation sortie. While cruising at 15000' over the sea, lost control and came down in Veryan Bay on Cornwall's south coast, 11 miles NE from Falmouth. In the final moments of flight, three members of the crew managed to bale out and were saved. Their less fortunate companions are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. By an awful quirk of coincidence, Sgt Prost (sic) RCAF was the second Canadian to die that evening before reaching his eighteenth birthday, both perishing within a few minutes of each other.

Addendum: Sgt POST is Eric James, his surname confirmed via CWGC. Tragic indeed!

Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Wellington LP610

Post by Nocturna mors »

Sadly Max, it appears the a/c broke up on impact and now rests scattered upon the sea bed

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Missing ... z2g1XBV6Vh

.......well spotted Alan ;)

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!