Disturbing correspondence

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Disturbing correspondence

Post by AlanW »

I won't go into too much, as it is not being made public yet, but i have had some upsetting news from someone, who was on a recent "excavation" of a lost aircraft. I had, at the time, remarked on the way it was being conducted, (via news coverage) by a so called "historian/aviation archaeologist"
The person who wrote to me, was on site at the time, almost walked off site at one point, but decided to stay and witness the dig, and has told me that there was "great disquiet" on site, among'st those others, who thought that they were going to be on a forensic type dig, but ended up watching a digger bucket slicing through the wreckage, without any concern as to what was among'st the debris. This was after personal items and clothing had been found, indicating the possibility of human remains being in situ, He actually states, that it seemed that every effort was made, "not" to find human remains, (he also indicates that remains were found but put back when site was restored) and that the prize, was the engines and props. He has asked me to hold back with the ID of the aircraft, as the matter is being pursued in a manner, not to cause distress to relatives. I find it quite disturbing, that my initial thoughts on this dig, have been somewhat proven, and only hope that the person concerned, is dealt with properly. Please, if anyone "thinks" they might know which dig i refer to, do not place your thoughts here, as i have stated earlier, it is not publicly known at this time. I just wanted to voice my distaste, that's all. :(
By the way, the crew, have been deemed "lost without trace" for almost 70yrs.
Now stepping down from my soap-box.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: Disturbing correspondence

Post by PAFG »

That's not a soap box, Alan. Those who haven't the native wit to approach such a project with utmost respect for the dead and for their relations, as well as for the history of the site itself, deserve nothing but our opprobrium. I hope the person responsible is dealt with in due course, whether legally or just through a team kicking round the back of the bike sheds.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

It's virtually impossible to believe that this type of thing could happen, in a perverse sort of way it's almost akin to grave robbing. I'm totally staggered, the perpetrator(s) certainly need punishment of one type or another.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

I actually directed the term "grave robber" towards the person who led the excavation, in comments to the dig, at the time. I will try to transcribe the full message i had, and post here at sometime, but leave out any indications as to ID of aircraft and dig leader.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Many thanks Alan for keep us up to date with this.
As you gents have mentioned, I too can't believe such attitudes could preside over such a situation.
Disgraceful is only one of many words one could use.
Thanks,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

It is hard to express my feeling. It is a disaster.
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the post and let me assure you that the culprit will continue as he has done making a living from this sort of excavation and then capitalising in on it through other avenues!

My last correspondence with this individual was a few years ago on the screening of a TV documentary, it did not end on a happy note.

Regards

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi Steve,
I have to stick with the wishes of the "informant" and keep specific details quiet, hoping that justice will take it's course in the end. But just between you and me, can you pm your thoughts to me, just to make sure we are talking about the same person or should i say "b*****d. I find myself going back and reading the information frequently, and getting quite angry and emotional every time. Just wanted to share, and get off my chest.
Alan.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

So tell me Alan, what value is there in a Merlin etc from a crashed WW2 aircraft.....is there a market for such items? I know there are private collectors of niche things such as the tail fin of Schnaufer's favourite Bf110G4 (G9+EF) in which he scored most of his victories, but that is much more specific and understandable than a wrecked Merlin and bent prop. Or am I being naive?
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Max,
Can only answer that one, by asking, what value is there in an animals head hanging from a hunter's wall, apart from being a "trophy"