How times change

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

How times change

Post by AlanW »

When i was in infant/junior school many many moons ago, there was only one project i can remember doing (mechanically wise). We were each given, a cotton reel, elastic band, piece of a candle, a matchstick and finally, an ice lolly stick. From this assortment, we managed to build a moving vehicle. Compare that, with the latest project at the infant/junior school of which i'm caretaker. Nearly 3 grands worth of flying machine, built by the year 6's, complete with GPS, video and still photography camera with gyroscopic steadying, H.U.D technology etc, etc, etc. :D
Attachments
2013-11-28 13.14.04.jpg
2013-11-28 13.14.04.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 2694 times
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: How times change

Post by ME453 »

It's the kind of rather self-indulgent project that I would have done when I was teaching Alan, WAY beyond the requirements of the National Curriculum and heavily dependent on the skills, enthusiasm and knowledge of an individual teacher, but good on him/her. The work that has already gone into building it will have taught the kids many important lessons covering many aspects but the future work for the whole of the age range of the school and across the curriculum is potentially enormous and only limited by the imagination of the school staff. There was a feature on TV recently asking why more girls don't go into engineering - this kind of project could spark a real interest in many I hope.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Time waits for no one but many thanks on posting, Alan ..................know doubt you have seen much change over the years.
Max, with all your knowledge of teaching, gives a valued perspective on it all, as you would come to expect.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
MT606
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MT606 »

GCHQ will be wanting to commandeer that ;-)