German Land Mine

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
WKS
Sergeant
Sergeant

German Land Mine

Post by WKS »

Hello,

I don't expect there will be much about this specific, but here goes anyway.

I was just recalling an event once recounted to me by my father, when he was on 25 Sqd. As far as I can recall or assume from the story, they already had Beaufighters, during the Blitz period. The base he mentioned had either been either North Weald, Debden, or Matlesham Heath (sincerely, I cannot remember which, but it was one of those). Now, I looked up on the 25 Sqd home page and it seems Beau's were only at North Weald, after September 1940, and then Wittering. Blenhiems, before that, were at Hawkinge and Northolt. So I am a bit confused there, as he had clearly mentioned being at Debden and Martlesham Heath as well, with 25 Sqd.

Anyway, the story involves a German land mine that alighted on the airfield (one of all the ones mentioned), which was later made safe by a "bomb team", for want of the correct term here. Is there any record of the defusing of land mines that might help me identify which one it was?

Thank you in advance.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: German Land Mine

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello 'WKS'

Please feel free to bring us up to date with such details.
I'm not aware of any current records on this forum.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"