What Is It ? (1)

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

What Is It ? (1)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Found on ebay,

What is this ??????????

If your not sure of the answer and you must know, have a look at .............http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW2-RAF-1941-Patt ... 2eb3010830

John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: What Is It ? (1)

Post by gate1 »

Yep, a 'floating torch'. These were the second pattern, and comprised a battery tube (the blue bit) and a wooden section with a small bulb on top. They were housed in a pocket on the Tailor Suit and '41 Pattern Mae West just under the right arm. If an airman ditched (and he was in a coherent state) he would take out the battery tube, twist and lock the base, which would turn on the bulb, and then let out the wooden bit which floated. If he was lucky, as it got dark, the light from the bulb would be seen and so would he.
Ludford101
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Ludford101 »

Not a bad price either as they are getting harder and harder to find in good condtion .... may I enquire what the first type pattern looks like...
cheers Gary
Motto :Mens agitat molem - 'Mind over matter'.

Welfare Secretary 101 Squadron Association
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

A friend of mine had one for sale but I decided against it, not being sure if it really was 1st pattern. Then I saw one in the Kent Battle of Britain Museum. From memory, it certainly has a thinner battery section, and I think a smaller wooden section. I have also seen two with the bulb mounted directly on the battery section.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Here is another one I found on the Great Britain ebay site. Photo may be a bit blurry.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAF-WW2-1941-patt ... 3a631a86ae
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

Thanks for sticking that up John. A very nice and near complete set of items for the standard Mae west used from 1941 onwards.