Listed on Ebay - Medals x 5

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Listed on Ebay - Medals x 5

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Listed on Ebay, a fine set of medals including the Africa Star. Still can't get my head around the fact that someone would sell them. Guess we are all different.
John

http://global.ebay.com/WW2_RAF_SGT_5_ME ... 94855/item
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: Listed on Ebay - Medals x 5

Post by AlanW »

John,
Problem is, unlike some of us, some people see more interest in the financial gain of these things, more than the historical signifigance of them.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Merlin
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Merlin »

Hi John and Alan

For us it is difficult to understand how families can sell off an heirloom but so many medal groups come to the market. Such a shame but many cannot see the point of history!

Merlin
Oggie2620
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Oggie2620 »

My Sgt bid on them because a)hes a medal collector and b) cos he wanted to research the guys history! Oh well I hope they went to a good home with someone who wanted them for more than their monetary value!
Dee
Merlin
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Merlin »

Hi Dee

I aggree with you entirely, unfortunately from a collectors viewpoint the fact that most WW2 medals were not named makes it even worse.

Regards Merlin
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Merlin said .......
I aggree with you entirely, unfortunately from a collectors viewpoint the fact that most WW2 medals were not named makes it even worse.
Please excuse my ignorance but recently, I've held the view that all crew members medals were en scripted with the crew members name on them. It is only when medals were re-issued that no inscription was acknowledged.

After all these years, Max, made me aware of such......... ( of looking on the edge of the medals ) I never thought of looking for such detail on my father medals.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Merlin
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Merlin »

K4KittyCrew wrote:Merlin said .......
Please excuse my ignorance but recently, I've held the view that all crew members medals were en scripted with the crew members name on them. It is only when medals were re-issued that no inscription was acknowledged.

After all these years, Max, made me aware of such......... ( of looking on the edge of the medals ) I never thought of looking for such detail on my father medals.
John
Hi John

were you aware that the Defence and War medals supplied to British forces were in cupro nickel whilst some other countries cast these in silver ?

Regards Merlin
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

To be honest Paul, I wasn't so, many thanks for making me / us, aware. That is what is so great about forums as such. We all continue to learn.
Thanks mate,
John