The Stirling Aircraft Project Update

This is the section where you can find all the latest news of the rebuilt of the Short Stirling.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: The Stirling Aircraft Project

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi John

How can I refuse :D

Here's the 1st and 2nd pilots control column bases and torque tube from LK567 that's been stripped down. It didn't come apart without a fight and still needs cleaning up (the RH one has been started).

John
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hi,

LK567 was a 38 Group aircraft! ;)
Thanks very much for this photo.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I find that photo very evocative! It has a very human attachment. From the people who put the original control column together to those who installed it in the aircraft and those who flew the aircraft and particularly the drama in its last moments. Thanks.

And even more of interest to me is that it appears this aircraft was built at Austin Motors Birmingham. My Aunt worked there on Stirlings and later Lancasters and so I will assume that she may well have had something to do with this aircraft. She used to bring me home one or two bits and pieces - I remember being fascinated by a bearing and also a technical drawing - she could of course have been in some trouble had she been caught!! But I suppose they were of quite stern stuff then - apparently the ladies refused to go to the shelters when the Factory was bombed - instead they sang - to drown out the noise. My Aunt said their philosophy was that if the men were fighting, a few bombs was not going to deter them from providing the equipment.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Hi Halifax1

Thanks for that recollection. It was evocative for me as well during the strip as the aircraft caught fire after crash landing and the control tube was frozen into position by molten metal and latterly corrosion. You're acutely aware of the final control position after the aircraft came to rest.

These parts will be further bead blasted this weekend and will hopefully look a lot prettier for it.

John
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Great work John, it's fascinating to see the restoration work continuing. What a great project!

Richard
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi John,

Have been looking at Ebay international, site and noticed a lot of RAF aircraft 'switches, toggles' etc for sale. There are quite a number of pieces available over the first few pages of the site.
All I do is type in 'RAF WW2' into the search box and from week to week, there is quite a bit of activity.
Here are a selection of things. Don't know if anything is at all relevant to this project, BUT .............

http://global.ebay.com/WW2_RAF_Air_Mini ... 32919/item
http://global.ebay.com/WW2_RAF_Air_Mini ... 31761/item
http://global.ebay.com/WW2_RAF_Aircraft ... 08168/item
http://global.ebay.com/WW2_RAF_Air_Mini ... 60467/item
http://global.ebay.com/WW2_RAF_Air_Mini ... 63033/item
http://global.ebay.com/WW2_RAF_Air_Mini ... 63033/item

John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Thanks for the links John

Unfortunately, only the dimmer switch would be of use to us (and we've got a fair few of those). Finding the correct items for a Stirling can be a bit of a minefield particularly instrument wise as there are so many variations on a theme. And the instruments are especially problematic when you consider the radiation hazard from some of them (but let's not go there! ;) ) Thankfully I have a handy guide to RAF aircraft electrical components and instruments which has kept me out of trouble on many an occasion.

E-Bay is a good source of parts as is aerojumbles so if you or anyone picks up or sees items which you think may be of interested, please don't be afraid to PM me 'cos I might have missed them :oops:

John
Theletterwriter
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Theletterwriter »

John

I do not know if this is of interest but my uncle sent the enclosed items home after his 199 Squadron Stirling EE910 : EX-Q, flown by Sgt. Maurice Hodson, was attacked by a German fighter during an operation to Munchengladbach on 30/31 August 1943

The first photograph is a metallic tag which had been shot away during the attack by the fighter. My uncle has said in a letter that this tag was only a matter of feet away from his head. As he was the Wireless Operator, I assume it came from around the Mid Upper gun position.

The second photograph shows all that was left of the dinghy, which was shot away from its housing in the wing. The paper insert inside the ring reads : Relic of the raid on Munchengladbach. We were attacked for 25 minutes by a JU88 night fighter. Our guns were u/s, he pumped lead into us and shot away our dinghy leaving only the handle which you see here. One of our engines caught fire. With courage and determination plus crew co-operation, Hodson and his merry men brought “Q” for Queenie safely back to Base. Good show chaps.

The above is a bit melodramatic but I think it was more for “the folks back home” rather than line shooting. The National Archives site has a copy of the combat report and reading that, the ORB entry and the entry in my uncle’s logbook, it is evident that the aircraft was badly shot up and they were fortunate to return.

As so often happened with Bomber Command air crew, their luck ran out soon after as a month later, they were lost on an operation to Hanover on 27/28 September 1943.

Douglas
EE910 tag.jpg
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Hi LW

I certainly recognise the label, they're fitted next to the ammunition boxes on the turret rings of the front and Mid upper turrets. the gouge in the metal shows that the gunner would've been very lucky indeed!

Thanks for showing them

John
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I understand that there is a section of a Stirling tailplane in a Museum not far from me - you may know about it John - I will try and get down there sometime and have a look. I think also there is a piece of fuselage in the Spitfire museum at Manston. Raiding party perhaps??