The Stirling Aircraft Project Update

This is the section where you can find all the latest news of the rebuilt of the Short Stirling.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: The Stirling Aircraft Project

Post by Stirling Project »

Thanks for the kind comments. Perhaps I should have said that we are honouring all that had anything to do with the old girl. One of our members is an ex SEBRO employee and we have quite a few artefacts that were found at the site. When we're up and running again, anyone who would like to visit our workshop can do so so long as we know with a few weeks notice. :D

cheers

John
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

This is a great project, John, it's good to see the dedication and hard work that people bring to such projects. Good luck with it, I'll follow with interest.

Cheers,

Richard
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

A small update on progress (but a lot of work went into it!) :o

The Stirling Aircraft project have finally moved from our workshop at RAF Wyton to a new one in St Neots. This involved 2 full days of work and 6 lorry loads of equipment, furniture and artefacts; ranging from a 1 ton Hercules engine to rivets. Thankfully we've been able to find homes on loan for our 2 mainwheels as I think they'd have probably been the death of us to move.

The important thing is that we hopefully now have a more permanent home and so we can forge ahead with our reconstruction project.

Must sign off as I need a stiff drink and a bath!

John
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

That's good news, John. Hope the new workshop works out for you.
Must sign off as I need a stiff drink and a bath!
John, you could kill two birds with the same stone ............ bath yourself in the demon drink!
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

you could kill two birds with the same stone ............ bath yourself in the demon drink!

Now there's a thought!
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Well we've now moved out of RAF Wyton and are making order out of chaos.

We can now see the wood for the trees and have some space to actually start doing some work again, as shown in the attached photos

John
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Excellent!
Yes, there seems to be a good space to go on the work.
I expect I'll have a chance to visit a day. It would be good to meet Lou Brown (and your team!) a second time.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Unfortunately Lou lives too far away to visit regularly, but the rest of us will be glad for you to visit :)

John
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

The latest 'FlyPast' magazine has a large section on the Stirling, and also news of a Stirling find in Holland. Although its in bits, there is apparently a lot of material. Does anyone at The project know of this? Perhaps they'd make some parts available to you?

By the way, fantastic job, I wish you well.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

gate1 wrote:The latest 'FlyPast' magazine has a large section on the Stirling, and also news of a Stirling find in Holland. Although its in bits, there is apparently a lot of material. Does anyone at The project know of this? Perhaps they'd make some parts available to you?

By the way, fantastic job, I wish you well.
Thanks Gate1

We've pretty much surveyed every surviving bit of fuselage structure there is and we've got a fair amount of u/c items as well. Generally speaking most groups are very good at loaning items to us or at least giving us access to measure and draw up useful items. The Dutch and Danish Groups are especially good in this respect. :D

John