The Stirling Aircraft Project Update

This is the section where you can find all the latest news of the rebuilt of the Short Stirling.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: The Stirling Aircraft Project Update

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Lovely detailed work there, John. I notice a couple of transmitters / radars / receivers and or alike, on the shelf in the background?
All future works? I think we have found you a fuselage .............. but you may need to freshen up on those negotiating skills of yours!
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi John

It is a very complex assembly to fulfil a simple role, but that's why Shorts continually fell foul of the Air Ministry as they tended to over-engineer things!

We have a small stock of electrical thingamajigs, most of which will be going in the Navs desk and W/Op positions.

As for the fuselage; if only..... :roll:

The potential is there, but I doubt very much if the group would ever let it go. They have given us plenty of access though to draw up and measure detail parts and profiles etc. 8-)

JL
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi John,

Thought you'd like this photo. I've lost which credit it is but will try and find it and post it.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Hmm looks like the Mk IV that crashed in Holland. Nice pic of the interior 8-)
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

Nice pic John :D .....probably the best Stirling cockpit view i have seen. It really emphasizes the interior space well.
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thanks Tom, i must say that the cockpit overall looks rather bare / sparse ............. maybe it is just the angle of the photo.
Cheers,
John
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

Those seats look a bit uncomfortable John, how the boys managed,.... sat in one of those for upto 8 hours i will never know. I think the pilot would have sat on their seat type parachute pack as well to act as a cushion. After a 2 hour drive in a car,...... i,ve had enough and that,s with ...a comfy reclining seat,... arm and head rests.......and with the added luxury of not being shot at!

I wonder what these chaps did to relieve the cramps? I doubt if pilots and air gunners could leave their positions to go walkabout to stretch their legs, It must have been very uncomfortable indeed but,.... .....i guess you had to grin and bare it. It makes you wonder if aircrew ever suffered from medical problems arising at the time or post war, after having endured what must have been...... pure agony i imagine?

Rgds NM
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Not posted on this thread for a while but be assured that progress is still being made.

Last night I hosted Forum Member JamesinNewcastle at our workshop. As you may be aware he has a keen interest in a Stirling crash in Cambridgeshire and was in the area doing research. We spent nearly 2 hours discussing progress and showing original and re-production items that are in work. I'd like to thank James and his mate Graham for their interest in the Project and I hope that they got something out of the visit too.

JL
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great to hear forum members getting together with a like minded interest.. Well done chaps!
Cheers,
John
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

All are welcome..... :D