The Stirling Aircraft Project Update

This is the section where you can find all the latest news of the rebuilt of the Short Stirling.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: The Stirling Aircraft Project Update

Post by Stirling Project »

Here's another item that's in the restoration process. This is part of the adjustment mechanism for the Bomb Aimers couch and apart from having to fabricate 2 new mounts and replace 2 taper pins. she's good to go

John L
Attachments
04062014823.jpg
04062014823.jpg (143.11 KiB) Viewed 23491 times
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Hi all

Just a quick update to let you know that if you wish to support our aim of bringing a Stirling back as a memorial, you now can through our website, where we now have the facility of accepting Paypal donations. 8-)

regards

John L
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

John,
Congratulations to you and your band of merry workers not only for the work you are doing but in recognition for hitting the 15,000 visit to your thread.
Well done buddy ........... keep up the good work!
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Thanks John

It's a long slog, but it keeps us off the streets :lol:

A quick update on things, I've been progressing the throttle box and we're slowly getting there; unfortunately the most complex part is yet to come with the casting of the starter panel assy, which in itself is made up of no less than 19 major parts, not including the various attachment fittings. Additionally the re-creation of the main throttle cams is also proving to be a major headache. These are very thin castings which are curved but also have to be very accurate to match the box profile and also to allow the throttles to properly engage with the cam itself. This is hard to explain but hopefully you'll see what I mean when we get around to it. The rudder pedals are being worked and on a more exciting front, we're expecting over 600 feet of fuselage stringer section which will go a long way to allowing us to start fabricating the bomb bay.

On the down side, it looks like we may have to move our workshop again, as our Landlords are re-developing the site, hopefully they'll be moving us to another part of Alconbury airfield where we can then be left alone to crack on with things. However, this may result in us paying rent for the first time...we shall see

John L
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

On the down side, it looks like we may have to move our workshop again, as our Landlords are re-developing the site, hopefully they'll be moving us to another part of Alconbury airfield where we can then be left alone to crack on with things. However, this may result in us paying rent for the first time...we shall see.
John, ( thinking out aloud )................ I know it may sound silly but would a call to the local Mayor, stating the 'historical' work that you are doing would surely get some support from the locals.
Could the Mayor put up an advertisement in the local papers, stating your 'project' and the duration of it so far ............. could the public assist with some factory space, for this very worthwhile cause.

One would hope that such a request from the Mayor would lend weight to your cause. Tell them that your 'thread' has had over 15,000 hits alone, that we have been operating for a number of years now and that we cater to a world-wide audience, with a membership that continues to grow.

Let's put it out there!
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Hi John et al

Local Mayors carry very little weight here, but to be honest our current Landlords seem keen to help us and they seem keen to assist heritage groups. The former RAF Alconbury is a huge site with a lot of useful building going unused and they have indicated that they will move us elsewhere on the base as and when the need arises. The important aspect for us is that very soon we will begin the process of laying down the fuselage jig and once that happens we really can't move. We're not overly worried about this move, the only concern is that we'd like to know asap so that we can get plans in place, after all we've moved location times in the 17 years I've been with the Project. :roll:

John L
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi John

I've started to model the cockpit seriously now and have had to decide which of the multitude of cockpit layouts I should be doing. I think that there are only two pictures that are relevant to my MkI on the basis of the absence of feathering switches. One pic seems to be a development aircraft (or at least one in which they are trying things out) so now I am left with something to copy even if it is only one picture!

As a result I am now looking at the Throttle Box. Mucho text reports that the Exactor controls were dumped very quickly but I'm not so sure from what I have been reading (namely a mod where the aluminium pipes were changed to copper ones). So I just wondered if your throttle box uses Exactor controls or if you are all cables?

Cheers
James
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Hi James

Our box is based on one installed in Mk III / IV aircraft and as such has a Glider Release Handle on the RH side (P2). I can confirm that it is all cable controlled with no Exactor throttles. I seem to recall seeing a view of the early Mk I throttle boxers and the profile at the bottom end is completely different to accept the Exactor units. (it could be in AP1660A Vol 1).

John L
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Thanks John

While that limits the amount I can copy off you ( :D ) it does mean that I can compare your box to photos of other throttle boxes.

I was looking for the filling points for the Exactor 'senders', I think I can make out little caps that look like the thin metal screw caps you get on wine bottles in some photos, so if you had had them I could have confirmed that.

Anyway, apart from researching the Exactor controls I had read stories of crew refilling the reservoir with hot coffee in an attempt to unfreeze the pipes. This seems a little futile given the run of the pipes, the low temperature and the temp of the coffee, but it also occurred to me that the filler holes would have been very hard to get at, even for the ground crew, hence the question. I wondered if perhaps they might have been more remote from the throttle box too. If the 'freezing' problem had only been at the senders then the coffee might have worked.

It's also interesting as to why the Exactors gave so much trouble - the clutch on many cars has virtually the same system. Though now I come to say it they would have been 'primed' every time you took your foot off the pedal!

James
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

I think Martin might have an Exactor unit, it might be worth contacting him for more info

John L