The Stirling Aircraft Project Update

This is the section where you can find all the latest news of the rebuilt of the Short Stirling.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

The Stirling Aircraft Project Update

Post by Stirling Project »

Hello there,

I'm the Secretary of the Stirling Aircraft Project and belatedly have just found out about your interesting Forum. Some of you may have heard about us, but for those that haven't we are a small registered Charity that has the aim of preserving Stirling related artefacts and with the long term aim of reconstructing the forward fuselage of the aircraft as a visible means of honouring the Air and ground crews who operated this largely unsung aircraft.

I hope over the coming weeks and months to start posting some photos of our progress and to whet your appetite here's a picture of our main instrument panel, throttle box, control column and Pilot's seat that has been loosely posed together.

cheers

John
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Stirling Aircraft Project

Post by Bruno »

Hello John,

Welcome to the forum!
We're waiting for your next posts.
Best regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi John, like Bruno and all of us here, we welcome you to the forum and we look forward to any photos / details that you put forward. If it is any help, you can send me any details and I'll upload them through 'photobucket' and post them for you.

Regards,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Hello John, and welcome.

A worthy project indeed, and looking forward to updates in the future.

Regards,
Wayne.
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Hello John and welcome.

A very worthy project indeed. Where are you based?

Regards

Dave
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Hi all

In answer to Dave's question we have been based at RAF Wyton but due to change of usage for the hangar and the fact that the MOD were going to charge us £9k a year for accomodation we have had to find new premises which wasn't too expensive. to that end we will be moving into our new workshop in St Neots (Cambs) next weekend (22/23 Jan) and we should be able to make a lot more progress and hence give you all some more progress reports.

Good to be on board

John
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

in fact the quickest way to update you on our progress is via the following link tothe Flypast Historic Aviation Forum which has our own dedicated thread:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=77197

Also if I may be so bold, here's a link to a similar thread which lists items that we need to help populate the cockpit etc

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=95679

If anyone has any Stirling related items which they may be prepared to either loan or donate to assist us in our aims they would be very much appreciated

many thanks

John
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hi John,

Thanks very much for these links.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Here's some more detailed photos of progress on the seat structure. The first one is of one of the new build seat mounting frame whilst the second is of the original pilot's seat and new build co-pilot's seat
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Hmmmm...... quite envious - but thankfully St Neots is not that far away. A really splendid project John - well done and I hope the support you deserve grows and grows. I have no Stirling parts sadly - but I did have an Aunt (now deceased) who helped build then at Longbridge. When I saw her shortly before her death she did talk quite a bit about that time in her life, and her "work" and I think was proud to have been involved. Thus I think she would have been very interested in your project - like many who were involved with the Stirling one way or another. So I think unwittingly perhaps you are honouring those civilians as well.

I do wish you well,

David