Short Stirling Crash Mickle Fell 1944

Kia Ora
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Short Stirling Crash Mickle Fell 1944

Post by Kia Ora »

Hello, I have memorabilia including logbook, letters etc. which relate to my father Flight Engineer Sgt Bertram Davis who lost his life along with 6 others on Mickle Fell on 18 October 1944.
I have seen photos of the remains of the wreckage on this website which are very poignant and moving for our family. I would like Dad's photo put alongside his New Zealand comrades on the website if that is possible.
One letter to my mother from Air Gunner Sgt Alan Small describes how the accident occurred and how he alone managed to survive.
Please let me know if any of this would be of interest.
Kind regards,
Helen Hammond (Davis)
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Short Stirling Crash Mickle Fell 1944

Post by halifax1 »

I would have thought of considerable interest Helen.

You might also like at look at this site as you can put details of the crew and incident on there.

http://www.aircrewremembered.com/

David.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello Helen and many thanks for your post.

We would certainly like to have your fathers' details here on the forum. They are so important to us all.
I will send you an PM ( private message ) with my email details.
If you can send me photos & details in 'j-peg format' ............... I'll do the rest.

Also, if you have a browse through the 'logbook' section, you see a number of crew members logbooks that I have collated and posted.
If you have your fathers' logbook, I can do the same for you, if you do not have it, I can still assist with other details,
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Found these photo's of some of the recovered wreckage of this aircraft, that is stored at RAF Stafford. Apparently, when the wreckage was recovered in 1970, most of it was scrapped.
Attachments
DSCF4358.jpg
DSCF4358.jpg (94.94 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
DSCF4347.jpg
DSCF4347.jpg (98.65 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
MT606
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MT606 »

I recently walked to the crash site and took photos of the various parts that remain on the northern side of the site, not much left by the looks of things, although I only spent an hour on the top.

m