Short Stirling BF513

Stanford
Corporal
Corporal

Short Stirling BF513

Post by Stanford »

Hello,

I allow to contact you concerning a research for informations, for contacts, for documents and for photos about the crash of the bomber Short Stirling BF513 coded AA-E shot down on April 15th, 1943 in Belgium, in the Forest of Nismes, near the hamlet of Regniessart.

My approach joins in an inquiry formulated by the Municipality of Viroinval; the information, the testimonies and the photos being intended to feed the exposures and the diverse activities which will be programmed, from 2014, within the framework of the remembrance of the 100th anniversary of the 1st world war and the 70th anniversary of the end of the Second World War.

The Bomber was shot down during a raid on Stuttgart on April 15th, 1943 at 02:25 am by Lt. Fritz GRAEF of I. / NJG 4 based to Florennes. The crew which 3 New Zealanders always rests in the municipal cemetery of Florennes:

P/O D.G. McCASKILL RNZAF
Sgt A. McVICAR
P/O J.K. GRAINGER RNZAF
Sgt B. ELWELL
Sgt R.T.C. GREEN
Sgt E.D. COOK
Sgt R.A. SMITH RNZAF
I may ask you to open an entry on your blog about this bomber hoping that members of your group can enrich our documentation and help us, maybe to find desccendants of the members of this crew

Stirling AA-E exploded during flight and fragments fell in a 300 meter shelf approximately.
maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=215837952421140314776.0004e707a35a0a435c11f

Thank you already for the help which you can, I hope for it, bring me.

Best Regards
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Short Stirling BF513

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello Stanford and welcome to our friendly forum.
I trust some members may be able to assist you with some details or alike.

Here is a link address about 75 Sqn which may be of help to you. https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct= ... 1258901977

Also have a look at this site .......... a lot of photos and details from 75 Sqn ........... https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct= ... 2335622979

I have just done some searches on images of AA-E but unfortunately, I found photos of nearly every other AA squadron aircraft except 'E' ............... I will keep looking for you.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stanford
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Stanford »

Thank you John,

I could have maybe indications on:
- The group to which belonged the AA-E within 75 Sqn
- Which nickname had been given to hi and which subject was painted down at the bows (nose art)
- The history of the plane (SN 5604) since its exit of shorts

Kind regards

Stanford
Stanford
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Stanford »

Hello,
My researches progress concerning the crew of theStirling BF513. I am now in touch with members of several families. Documents and photos so reach me.
Unfortunately, no contact of the German side
The Bomber was shot down during a raid on Stuttgart on April 15th, 1943 at 02:25 am by Lt. Fritz GRAEF of I. / NJG 4 based to Florennes
Could anybody direct my researches at this level ? According to my information Fritz Graef would have added up 7 victory and would have survived the war.
Thanks already

Stanford
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Stanford, let me dig a little deeper for you.
I'll come back if I can find something further.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stanford
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Stanford »

Many Thanks John !

If one of you possess the book "The Nachtjagd War Diaries: An Operational History of the German Night Fighter Force in the West , September 1939-March 1944" then I to ask him to look if Stirling BF513 appears there? The Stirling was shot down on April 15th, 1943 on the return to a raid on Stuttgart by the Lt Fritz GRAEF in command of a BF110 of the NJG4 based to Florennes
Thanks beforehand

Kind regards

Stanford
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Hello Stanford,
Yes Stirling BF513 is shown in Theo's Nachtjagd War Diaries, the entry reads;

Lt. Friedrich Graeff: 4 Stab I/NJG4 Stirling Regniessart, 5km SSE Namur: 3400m 02.23 75 Stirling BF513 but there is no further description of his Abschuss in the text of the book.
Regards
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
Stanford
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Stanford »

Thanks for the answers
If somebody finds something else, I apply.
In particular on the life of the Lt Fritz Graef which seems to have survived the war...
Merry christmas

Stanford