Short Stirling Photo Collection

PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

halifax1 wrote:I have often wondered about this photograph.I would have thought it impossible for them to have moved a Stirling in this way. And I am not sure if they are really pushing - see the chap at the back of the group. But a very valuable photo from a modellers point of view - for u/c and wheel bay detail.
I think the ladder at the entrance hatch is a dead giveaway.

Great photos here. There are some good ones, including colour, if you search the IWM site. They're not worth dropping in though as they are stamped with copyright and IWM etc. If someone's passing the museum and has time to call in though...

Cheers,

Richard
Earl
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Earl »

Hi Kitty

Is there anywhere you can obtain some good images to print in a small book I am trying to put together to give my Dad his brother was a Wireless operator on sterlings and was killed in 43 - its not a commercial venture, just a one off for the family

Earl
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Hi Earl

Richard's right in saying that the Imperial War Museum has some great Stirling photos, some in colour. You can order them on line. An A5 300dpi jpeg via email costs £5. http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/qryMain.php

You could also try Googleing Stirling Bomber, select the images option and see what turns up.

Dave
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Hi Earl

Should have read all the posts before replying. The Imperial War Museum has a photo of HA-T from June 42. No guarantees that it's actually BF413 but it must be worth a punt? The reference number of the photo is CH 6278.

I did something similar for my uncle. The 149 Squadron Association historian has been kind enough to post it on his website. Here's a link http://www.mildenhallregister.stirlingp ... holson.pdf

Dave
Theletterwriter
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Theletterwriter »

Dave

From the nephew of a 199 Squadron Wireless Operator to the nephew of a 149 Squadron Air Gunner. A moving and fitting tribute to your uncle.

With best wishes

Douglas
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Hi Douglas

Thanks for that. It was really interesting putting it together. It's still a work in progress really. The final chapter will probably be taking place next month. The village near the site of the crash are putting up a granite memorial to the crew at the crash site. The memorial service and unveiling are at the beginning of April. They've been kind enough to invite me and I'm sure it's going to get a bit emotional.

Dave
Last edited by Dave_Richardson on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theletterwriter

Post by Theletterwriter »

Dave

It will be. I know that from visiting Ramlingen where my uncle and his crew were laid to rest during the war and Hanover War Cemetery where they were re-interred after the war. As I was born in 1955, I did not know my uncle personally but I was made aware from an early age of how much his family loved him and how much they missed him. I feel I have known him all my life.

Douglas
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

I was handed the following photos this morning by one of the Security Staff here at work. They show 2 scenes taken at RAF Bourn and look to be of SEBRO staff. Interesting to see a Liberator in the background of the 1st pic

John L

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi John L,

Am I correct in saying the liberator you mention is right above the heads of the crew? ( I'm really struggling to see it ......... dam glasses aren't working again)
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi John

You're correct, the tone of the fuselage is very light and the large door makes me think that it could be a Transport Command one. I may try and re-scanning it to make the picture darker

John