299 Squadron aircraft

GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: 299 Squadron aircraft

Post by GuyMassey »

Thanks Alan. Fascinating! One of several close encounters this crew had.
Guy
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
hfrancis
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by hfrancis »

My Grandfather Jack Noel Francis flew with 299 squadron and was shot down on the 19th September 1944 near Arnhem whilst dropping supplies, his plane was 5G-N but there seems to be some internet debate about the other number, either LK135 or EF319 (the consensus appears to be the latter). He survived and was a prisoner of war at Stalag Luft 1.

I would be grateful for any other information about his flights on this day, or before that.

Also he won the Bronze Cross from Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, which seems to have only been given to a few members of the RAF, and I am unsure why he was singled out from the many who were shot down.

Hedley
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello Hedley and welcome to the forum. I could not find any details in Chorleys 1944, nor OTC's or HCU's .......... but did find reference to the said aircraft on page 365, The Stirling Story by Micheal JF Bowyer.

Details listed ........

Short Stirling - EF319, ( converted to Mk IV ) 19 Maintenance Unit 31-12-1943, 5G-N / 299 Sqn 7-1-1944 Failed To Return 19-9-1944, hit by flak and crashed in woodland near Schaarsbergen.

Hope these details are of some help.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

John/Hedley,
The reason for no mention in Chorley's is because "technically" 299sqdn were listed under Fighter Command, as were 295, 296, 297 and 298, even though they all flew Heavy Bombers in their role.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thanks Alan, I did not know that. I thought maybe, that it was part of Coastal Command or alike.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hedley,
You might be in with a bit of luck. I ordered a part for the wifes car yesterday and paid for it, but a friend of mine had the part in his garage and has let me have it for doing a bit of tree surgery for him. Got a refund on the part, which means that, i've got some spare cash that i would'nt have had. So, always looking to expand my ORB collection, and noticing a few requests around for 299sqdn information on various sites, i'm going to add the 299 ORB to my N/A shopping list. If or when it gets here, i'll be able to pass on the information you want (thats if the N/A fix their checkout problem soon)
Cheers........Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

AlanW wrote:Hedley,
You might be in with a bit of luck. I ordered a part for the wifes car yesterday and paid for it, but a friend of mine had the part in his garage and has let me have it for doing a bit of tree surgery for him. Got a refund on the part, which means that, i've got some spare cash that i would'nt have had. So, always looking to expand my ORB collection, and noticing a few requests around for 299sqdn information on various sites, i'm going to add the 299 ORB to my N/A shopping list. If or when it gets here, i'll be able to pass on the information you want (thats if the N/A fix their checkout problem soon)
Cheers........Alan.
Who says our members don't go out on a limb to help others! Way to go Alan ........... If you don't mind me saying, dam find people we have here.
John
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

I've got the 299 ORB for 31st March to 31st August 44 if that helps at all. PM me your email address if you want a specific lookup.

regards

Guy
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bob Wilton »

hfrancis wrote:My Grandfather Jack Noel Francis flew with 299 squadron and was shot down on the 19th September 1944 near Arnhem whilst dropping supplies, his plane was 5G-N but there seems to be some internet debate about the other number, either LK135 or EF319 (the consensus appears to be the latter). He survived and was a prisoner of war at Stalag Luft 1.

I would be grateful for any other information about his flights on this day, or before that.

Also he won the Bronze Cross from Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, which seems to have only been given to a few members of the RAF, and I am unsure why he was singled out from the many who were shot down.

Hedley

Hello Hedley,

I have found this link below which will be of interest to you as it mentions your grandfather many times. If you do not know it,his POW number in Luft 1 was 5970.

The link below is on the internet but I cannot get it to post,so you will be able to do it yourself with the information it contains.So just Google Schaarsbergen Stirling EF319 and you will find it.

Regards

Bob

Mijn "oorlogsjeugd in Schaarsbergen" - Stirling bomber and Rustwat
10 Sep 2008 ... Mijn "oorlogsjeugd in Schaarsbergen" - Stirling bomber and Rustwat ... Cambridge
, the Stirling flown by W/Cdr Davis had EF 319 as serial ...

dorpsraadschaarsbergen.nl/...schaarsbergen/.../287-mijn-qoorlogsjeugd-in-schaarsbergenq.html?... - Cached - Similar
Dicam ex animo. Sed nostri evocatis, ut debemus eis libertatem.
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bob Wilton »

Hello Hedley,

There is a link on the Internet about your grandfather Stirlin EF319.If you do not already know it,his POW number in Stalag Luft 1 was 5970.

Regards Bob

Mijn "oorlogsjeugd in Schaarsbergen" - Stirling bomber and Rustwat
10 Sep 2008 ... Mijn "oorlogsjeugd in Schaarsbergen" - Stirling bomber and Rustwat ... Cambridge
, the Stirling flown by W/Cdr Davis had EF 319 as serial ...

dorpsraadschaarsbergen.nl/...schaarsbergen/.../287-mijn-qoorlogsjeugd-in-schaarsbergenq.html?... - Cached - Similar
Dicam ex animo. Sed nostri evocatis, ut debemus eis libertatem.