299 Squadron aircraft

GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

299 Squadron aircraft

Post by GuyMassey »

My father flew with 299 Squadron through 1944/5. His logbook entries until that time contained aircraft identification numbers and/or squadron codes. However whilst with 299 these are simple letters, ie "P" (flown on D-Day). Is there anyway of finding out the aircraft ID? Does anyone have a picture of this aircraft or it's sister aircraft "O, R, U, S or Z" in which he also flew. He also flew in "X9B" & "X9W" during Arnhem. Finally, how does one post pictures on this forum please?

Regards
Guy
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: 299 Squadron aircraft

Post by AlanW »

Guy,
My notebook shows i have some pages from the 299sqdn ORB up in my attic, i shall venture up there within the next hour and see what's in them.
Alan.

Not much in there, June ORB only gives the ID letter's as in your fathers logbook, but September pages give a/c serials as...
X9W....LJ948
X9B.....LK124

June 5th 44, Operation Tonga, a/c "P" take-Off 23.50, landed 04.05. 20 Troops and 9 containers successfully dropped on drop zone "N".
S/Ldr P.J. Dale.
F/Sgt C.A. Watkins.
W/O L.G. Grant.
Sgt R. Newton.
P/O B. Massey.
P/O J.D. Thomson.

June 6th 44, Operation Mallard, a/c "P" take off 19.18, landed 22.21. Glider with 14 troops suiccessfully towed to drop zone, glider pilot Lt Sykes.
Crew as before.

September 17th, Market Garden, a/c X4W-LJ948, take off 10.15, landed 15.35, Successful glider release in Landing zone "Z" Load carried, 1 Jeep, 1 trailer, 4 cycles, 1 M/Cycle.
Crew as before.

Sept 18th, Market D+1, a/c 5GZ-LJ955, take off 11.30, landed 17.00, Successful glider release on Landing Zone "Z". Load, 4 troops, 1 jeep, 1 trailer,2 M/cycles, Dakota a/c seen burning on the ground.
Crew as before.

Sept 20th, Re-supply, a/c 5GZ-LJ955, take off 11.50, landed 16.15. Successfully dropped 24 containers and 4 panniers at 5159 North- 0550 East, machine gun and flak over drop zone heavy, dinghy seen in sea.
Crew as before.

Other code/serials that can be made out,
5GC...LJ896.
5GK...LK241.
5GL...LK544.
5GM...LJ669.
5GP...LJ239.
5GQ...LJ956.
5GY...LK287.
5GV...LK284
X9C...LJ829.
X9U...LK135.
X9Y...LK153.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Gosh Alan, That's fantastic, thank you!

For your (and other's) interest the link below will take you to that page of my father's log book. Do please let me know if there is an easy way of posting pictures on this forum.

Just hit "back" when you've seen enough!

Regards

Guy

http://www.otterypress.co.uk/Logo/Page0038-sml.jpg
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Guy,
For photo's, when you post, scroll down a little and you'll see a tab which say's "Upload Attachment"
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Alan,

Here is also a link to the D-Day entry in father's logbook.

Enjoy!

http://www.otterypress.co.uk/Logo/Page0036-sml.jpg
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Guy,
Thanks for the pictures of the logbook, very welcome. Can i ask if there is any special comment written for the 28th July 1944? or did he not fly that day.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Hi Alan,
My father was on leave the last half of July, sorry.
May I ask what your interest is?
Regards
Guy
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Guy,
I have a combat report for this crew on this date
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Hi Alan,

I would be interested in seeing it.

It will be an interesting topic of conversation when I next visit my father in his nursing home.

Regards

Guy
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Guy,
If you pm your email address to me, i'll send via email.
Alan.