The last Short Stirling

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

The last Short Stirling

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Just reading the current Flightpath issue for it states .......... Short Stirling EF311.
Having read this article makes me think aloud ( I would never normally think or make such a comment but in this case, I can't resist )

"I sincerely wish there was such a person with enough wealth, who would like to make a very significant contribution to the history of to the RAF and aviation in general, by funding such a mission to have this aircraft restored in full" There ..... I've said it because that is how I feel about it. If only we could have one, just one, Short Stirling on view.

If any member or guest can add any further details, please do so, thank you.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: The last Short Stirling

Post by Stirling Project »

EF311 is an interesting proposition. The area in which it lays is off Selsey Bill which has strong currents and the seabed is scoured by gravelly type deposits. The RAF Diving Association did a survey several years ago and found that it was difficult to determine which way up the aircraft is. General consensus is that it is right way up but a more in depth survey is needed. What was ascertained though was that the fuselage had been eroded by the current to a point level with the top surface of the wings. In addition as this is a saline environment which severely corrodes aluminium particularly magnesium alloys, it is unlikely that the fuselage would be able to be lifted without significant break up of the remains. The Wellington and Halifax were lifted from fresh water conditions IIRC, which is less corrosive but damages the structure nonetheless.

If the aircraft could be lifted I for one would be very pleased, but I think it's more likely that it will come in nets rather than as a complete aircraft. Sorry to dispel any major hopes :(

John L
Oggie2620
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Oggie2620 »

Pity about the one in Holland (?Ijsselmeer) because thats apparently complete too. Have we heard aught more about whats happening as some of the family wanted them to raise it so they could bury their family member?
Dee
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

....interesting! There is a Stirling in the Ijsselmeer?....new to me. :o
Whats the state of preservation?,.....how intact is she?
Why are their objections to raising her, given that the family of the airmen wish it so?

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

The Stirling in question is BK710 which was lost on 25/26 May 1943 with the loss of all the crew. It's fair to say that this aircraft disintegrated on impact so its not complete. Some of the items recovered from this ac have been used in our cockpit or used as patterns to make new, with thanks to the recovery group. For details, you can see the pics on our build thead 8-)

John L
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

Many thanks John, ;)
Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!