HELP NEEDED Sergeant Michael William NESBITT

smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

HELP NEEDED Sergeant Michael William NESBITT

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Gents,

Long shot here.

Looking for details on a Sergeant Michael William NESBITT pre June 1943. His operational career started June 20th 1943 with No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron, he then transferred to No.623 Squadron on August 10th 1943, completing his tour on November 11th 1943. His tour consisted of 23 operation !!

He had a rather hectic tour, Berlin x 2 – Hamburg x 4 – Nuremburg – Cologne x 2 etc etc, nothing out of the ordinary for this period. If this is the correct total it is unprecedented that Nesbitt’s operational tour was concluded on 23 operations.

I have not been able to confirm with any degree of certainty if Nesbitt had flown on any operations prior to his posting to No.218 Squadron, he came direct from a HCU. The total number of operations flown is believed to be 23 as described above, I have checked and re-check both ORB, I have also checked 1657–1651-1653 and found nothing.
On his arrival at No.1653 HCU in December 1943 on conclusion of his tour Nesbitt became an instructor and was subsequently promoted to squadron Leader and awarded a DFC. He survived the war.

If anyone can help with info on this pilot, I would be happy to hear from you. Also is anyone aware of a tour being concluded on 23 operations?

TIA

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: HELP NEEDED Sergeant Michael William NESBITT

Post by AlanW »

Steve,
Not sure about ending on 23 ops, but i wonder if he could have originally been with a squadron which operated twin engined a/c. Hence his posting to his first HCU, pror to joining 218.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Re: HELP NEEDED Sergeant Michael William NESBITT

Post by smudgersmith218 »

AlanW wrote:Steve,
Not sure about ending on 23 ops, but i wonder if he could have originally been with a squadron which operated twin engined a/c. Hence his posting to his first HCU, pror to joining 218.
Hi Alan,

A valid point and one I have not considered. There is no mention of twins in his citation but if he flew Wellington's I suppose it would not warrant a mention. The only problem is ( from my point of view ) No.3 Group was not operating Wellingtons in 1943 so it would mean another group. Twenty three op's is a rather odd number to finish on. Perhaps maybe he was on his second tour, his short citation gives no clues !

As a pilot this officer has completed many sorties against important enemy targets. Undaunted by the fiercest opposition, he has attacked his target fearlessly and with great determination. His courage and confident example is worthy of high praise.

A puzzle !

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads