Operation Manna -Holland 29th April 45

General announcements.
Riskey
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Operation Manna -Holland 29th April 45

Post by Riskey »

I know you have seen this before on the notice board , But Please Gentlemen anyone who may have any Storys & Photos in their Vast Filing Cabinets regarding Bomber Command , Please share them ! . I often read a book by " Hans Onderwater " Entitled "Memories of A Miracle " . Im soft hearted Much ---Well a bit perhaps ?????? But one paragraph does bring a lump to my throat ,and my glasses seem to steam up a bit when I read this Small piece ....... " I will never forget one-thing: that lonely man standing on a dike . When we approached him in the Lancaster he stood to attention and saluted us . I had been through a lot , but by God ,it was the first time in the war I cried " . I try and read this book when I can , and yes It does mess up my glasses a bit ISH . But the pride for the crews dropping food over the occupied Holland . is very Strong . Can any one share Photos Or Stories . Riskey
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Operation Manna -Holland 29th April 45

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Riskey, yes, in fact I've only recently posted some photos on the subject.
Cheers,
John
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=960
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Riskey

Post by Riskey »

Hi John , A very Big Thank-you for the photos of Operation Manna . Its photos that fill me with much pride , whilst Ross Clark ,and the crew were lost a year to the day of this Operation . Its an Operation their SQN 166 that toke part . Many kind Thanks !! Riskey
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Hi Riskey,
75 (NZ) squadron took part in dropping food to the Dutch people on 29 April 1945.

Nine aircraft were detailed for Supply Dropping in the Delft area.

Some of the comments by the pilots on return were;

Dutch greeted us with cheers and waving.

Dutch crowds seemed to be expecting the aircraft and greeted them with great jubilation.

Crowds of Dutch seen waving on house tops and in streets.

A good trip which was welcomed by many Dutch on the ground. Enthusiastic reception all along route.

Cheers,
Wayne.
Riskey

Post by Riskey »

Hi Wayne , I read one story in this book about how Lancasters were flying around Windmills That Low that the Dutch were looking "Down " at the crew . That is Very Low height . 166 SQN toke part in 35 operations flying in supplies to Rotterdam . I wish some-one could make a TV programme about this Operation . Riskey
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Hi Riskey,
Have a look at this clip, the first shot shows a Lancaster very low, dropping supplies to the Dutch people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6r66DCv ... re=related

Regards,
Wayne.
Riskey

Post by Riskey »

Thanks ever so much wayne !! . One comical story -well sort of ? The pathfinder SQNs were tasked to Light the way ,trouble was they dropped a flare it went into a farm ,and burnt the place down :oops: