Anzac Day 2012 - We will remember them

General announcements.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Anzac Day 2012 - We will remember them

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello members,

Just wanted to acknowledge that tomorrow, 25th April is Anzac Day here in Australia and New Zealand.
John

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: Anzac Day 2012 - We will remember them

Post by kookabat »

Indeed, John - I'm off to Sydney in the morning to carry the banner for the 463-467 Sqn veterans. Will report back here tomorrow night!
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

Just to add that in Europe we will never forget our heroes from the 'other side of the ocean.'
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Hi John,

I couldn't make it to any services today :(
Here is what the local news said.

Thousands of New Zealanders turned out en masse around the country to mark the 97th anniversary of the
landings at Gallipoli and to remember fallen servicemen and women.

An estimated 15,000 flocked to the ceremony at the War Memorial Museum in Auckland, joining Prime Minister
John Key, veterans, including around 200 who served in WWII, and others to honour the dead.

Mr Key, in his Anzac Day message, said the Anzac spirit nurtured on the battlefields of Gallipoli was alive and well.

"We saw it in Christchurch last year as ordinary civilians risked their own lives to try and save others from the rubble.

"We saw it when Prime Minister Julia Gillard said to me on that terrible day, `Anything you need, we will get to you'," he said.

I'm so pleased my nephew's daughter aged 7 went to her first dawn parade this morning.
It's pleasing to know the younger generation want to be involved the remembering the fallen.

As John said;
We Will Remenber Them.
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

463-467 Sqn Assoc in Sydney

Post by kookabat »

I've just arrived back in Melbourne after a (literally) flying visit to Sydney for ANZAC Day 2012. And I can tell you I was happy to be there - it's apparently been belting down with rain in Melbourne all day, and quite cold. Even that didn't stop an estimated 35,000 people showing up for the Dawn Service at the Shrine of Remembrance in the city, however - these Melbourne locals are a hardy lot. I mustn't be a local just yet, I ran away to Sydney where it was sunny and relatively warm (if you were out of the wind). But I digress.

The big event in Sydney is always the march, followed usually by the various Squadron and unit associations holding their own lunches in venues scattered around the city.
For the third year running, I carried one half of the 463-467 Sqn Association's banner in the march down George Street. Here we are during a lengthy delay on Market Street - I'm holding the banner on the right:
The bloke on the other side is Bryan Cook, whose grandfather was Brian Fallon, MUG in the Huxtable crew in 463 Sqn. The gentleman in front of us (he's holding the rope to the top of the banner, bracing it somewhat against the wind) is Hugh McLeod who in fact served on 49 Sqn, but has been 'adopted' by the 463-467 Sqn group. I had a good chat with Hugh and will keep in touch with him.

One more photo for now - Don Browning, George Douglass, an unknown veteran and Bill Purdy take a break on a convenient windowsill during that extended delay on market Street. Don came prepared, carying a walking stick with a built-in seat!

Some 48 people attended the lunch at the Sydney Marriott, ten of whom were veterans - in fact they were the same ten we had there last year. Out of interest, five of these gentlemen will be going to London for the Bomber Command Memorial unveiling in June.

Another highly successful ANZAC Day, some good people to talk to and some good contacts made. I'll do a full write-up on my blog in the next few days, with additional photos (once they are forwarded to me from a few other people).

Adam
Last edited by kookabat on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great stuff, Adam. Your a champion, mate. Thank you so much.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Yes, fantastic photos.
Thanks very much.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org