Tony Iveson Lecture

General announcements.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Tony Iveson Lecture

Post by halifax1 »

Not surprised - but he (M) was a teacher too, and writes for the Gruaniad*. However I gather he likes elephants so he perhaps has some merit?

*Known by some as the Guardian, published in England - a collection of printed pages claiming to be a newspaper with a circulation of 24 but is compared in this respect with the Mail on Sunday, a little known comic. The last sensible piece in the G was an article condemning Facebook. More recently the G condemned the BC Memorial but it was clear the columnist was a little prejudiced, even by Guardian standards.

Will delete this shortly as of course In am being very discourteous and hi jacking the topic
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Please don't delete it for my sake Halifax, perfectly happy to see it in this thread. It reminded me to look on line for the Evening Standard article by Simon Jenkins on the B.C. Memorial - historically inept, PC twaddle. He says Harris 'browbeat Churchill' into supporting his campaign - I've seen Churchill's telegrams, letters and memos urging a strong campaign against Berlin from early 1942 until the campaign started in November 1943 - nobody can claim that Churchill wasn't 110% behind area bombing when it suited him.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Ahhhh...... yes Simon Jenkins. He also writes for the Guardian. He is Chairman of the National Trust and I can say from personal experience that he is not excelling there. He is known for re writing history and his recent book is a classic example (Great Britain played only a small part in WWII). His books on Churches etc.are not well researched .......and he upsets a number of well meaning and hardworking people in the process. Another with leftwing principles and right wing bank balance.

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comme ... 65854.html

We have of course had discussion before upon the merits and morality of the Campaign but some of the comments on the article are revealing.

I have just seen an article on TV indicating that eventually (and not far ahead) we will have pilotless aircraft. Fine, and unmanned tanks and self sighting guns and missiles etc. I suggest that that will only cause any conflict to be prolonged - possibly indefinitely - well at least until one side ceases to be able to produce such weaponry. Unless of course it is accepted that the factories and surrounding areas are strategic targets and the people building such weaponry are part of the conflict and can be taken out.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

halifax1 wrote:Sounds a good event - not sure how well you know Gove but perhaps we should not been seen to wash what may be our dirty linen in public. This is not really a political platform.
Good Lord, not a bit of sensitivity old chap???!!! That wasn't a political statement, merely a personal opinion! ;)
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Then we must agree to differ. I take as I find - not how the media would like me to believe you see. Not so much sensitivity (not sure in any event what that is) as integrity. 8-)