German P O W camps - England ???

General announcements.
Riskey
Warrant Officer 1st Class

German P O W camps - England ???

Post by Riskey »

Dear all , Whilst this is not Aircraft related I hope the "Top Brass " will Pardon me for asking this question . Whilst my wife was having her eyes checked out today at our local optitions , I got myself into conversation with a chap who comes from Germany , he couldnt help but notice a my sweatshirt proudly displaying The Lancaster . I told him about how i had visited Germany Ect Ect . He then said how his great grand-father had been a P O W in the First world war and been imprisoned in a camp near where I live , -Basingstoke ish . Does any member know of such a P O W camp in this area during that time . Ive heard how German P O W had been in Guildford area . Any Ideas as chap would like to know . I did mention to him about Museums & librarys ,he said he tryed the museums but couldnt seem to find what he was looking for . Kind thanks
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: German P O W camps - England ???

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Hi Riskey

You could try posting a request on the Great War Forum: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... hp?act=idx I found them incredibly helpful and knowledgeable (just like the SAS forum!) when I was researching my grandfathers and great uncle's service in WW1. There appears to have been a POW camp at Bramley. This quote is from a posting on the Great War Forum, link below:
"PoWs in Britain were mainly engaged in agricultural and construction work. The Rev R Toogood in A History of Bramley says that by the end of 1917 3,500 PoWs were housed at Bramley (between Reading and Basingstoke) and were employed on constructing the early buildings of the munitions depot there."

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... pic=172946

The information came from a book: "Prisoners of war in British Hands during WWI" by Graham Mark which now seems to be out of print but you could always try the library

Hope this helps

Dave
Riskey

Post by Riskey »

Very kind thanks dave ! I shall pass on the info you have given me . This chap gave me his grand-fathers name as well . So it will be worth it Riskey
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bob Wilton »

Hi Riskey,

There was a German POW Camp at 'Popham Camp', Micheldever,Near Winchester.

Its number was 671/672.

Best Regards

Bob
Dicam ex animo. Sed nostri evocatis, ut debemus eis libertatem.
Riskey

Post by Riskey »

HI Bob , Thanks very much for the info , Sorry not been "around " ,Ive been very busy at work ect . Ive at last put a research file together for my Cousins on fathers side . I wasnt going too . I had an argument with one of the elder cousins regarding Ross a number of years ago ,basically he was "Running him Down " ,which hurt me a great deal . I was just greatfull David had the wisdom to tell me over the phone his views on Our Cousin Ross , otherwise he would have looked a Panda . Im not a violent man , But the courage these crews had night after night , I will never understand . Im so proud to know "Yes these boys done it right ! . So when I asked the other two cousins if they shared Davids views , they said NO " we want to know " So Ive put together a genorous Research files of Ross , and gave them a copy this weekend . Sorry to drift off subject .
Denonline
BC Veteran
BC Veteran

Post by Denonline »

There were an incredible 1024 German POW camps within the UK with listed addresses in the Guardian.

Dennis