Chalk Number ZO-V Operation Mallard

This is the Forum of all you think can be useful about the Short Stirling Aircraft: Squadron Records & Crew Operational Record Books (ORB’s), Websites, Books...
Gigyman
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Chalk Number ZO-V Operation Mallard

Post by Gigyman »

I hope you can help me, I am the grandson of Raymond Impett, the navigator on LK147 when it crashed on 10th May 1945 killing all those on board. I am trying to research the aircraft that he and his crew flew on. I have established that during Operation Mallard they flew aboard Short Stirling ZO-V serial number EF248 and had problems at taking off because the tow rope snapped. I have however been unable to establish what their allocated chalk number was for the operation. He flew with 196 Squadron and took off from Keevil on 6th June 1944.

Please can you advise me where I could find this information. Also if there are any pictures of EF248 or LK147 in existence.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

David Hibbs
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Chalk Number ZO-V Operation Mallard

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi David and welcome to the forum.
Forum moderator Alan sent me some files on 196 squadron and here are the operational record books in and around 6th June 1944.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Gigyman
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Re: Chalk Number ZO-V Operation Mallard

Post by Gigyman »

Thank you very much for this information John.