short Sterling LK499

This is the Forum of all you think can be useful about the Short Stirling Aircraft: Squadron Records & Crew Operational Record Books (ORB’s), Websites, Books...
Philsmith
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

short Sterling LK499

Post by Philsmith »

HI
My name is Phil Smith I am an former Royal Marine, my wife's great Uncle was Sgt George Frederick Bennett No 2222266 we was a tail gunner on Short Sterling LK499 he is currently at rest in Market Drayton my home town. We have just found out his aircraft tragically crashed along with all crew members when LK499 crashed into Dartmoor Lee Moor Plymouth on 12/09/1944. I am very keen to find out more information on this terrible event and pin point the crash site so my wife and I can pay are respects to him and his fallen comrades. I believe the aircraft broke up in the air at around 5000 feet and subsequently ended up in a very steep dive into the ground. As I live in Plymouth and very close to Lee Moor it would be easy for us to visit the area to pay are respects.

If anyone could possible send any info on the location or has any photos of George and LK499 we would be very grateful.

Regards

Phil Smith
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: short Sterling LK499

Post by Bruno »

Hello Phil,

Our member jamesinnewcastle started the topic at the link below where he offers to be contacted to send anyone interested in LK499, 41 Pages of crash report, including photos and drawings of structure and wreckage distribution.
The link to the topic in which one person was already interested and in which you'll find 3 photos of documents:
viewtopic.php?t=2297
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org