Stirling N6012 Caualty Report Available

This is the Forum of all you think can be useful about the Short Stirling Aircraft: Squadron Records & Crew Operational Record Books (ORB’s), Websites, Books...
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Stirling N6012 Caualty Report Available

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi All

I now have the casualty report for Stirling N6012. As I am researching this aircraft I'd love to hear from any relatives or ground crew, etc who have any connection with the crew, aircraft or Oakington at the time.

Cheers
James
AdyStimpson
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Re: Stirling N6012 Caualty Report Available

Post by AdyStimpson »

James. Good afternoon to you. I've just joined this forum. I live in Nottinghamshire, and whilst recovering from critical illness this month, took a slow walk around my village cemetary whereupon I noticed an RAF gravestone for the first time. I have lived in the village for 34 years now. I started to research the grave of E.Barratt, Air Gunner RAF, and this led me to learn he was the tail gunner onboard a Stirling N6012. I'm very interested on your work done so far in researching this crew. Well done.

Best regards

ADY STIMPSON
Bestwood Village
Nottinghamshire.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Hi Ady

Yes, Eric Barratt was one of the crew. I've never made much headway with any of the crew except the Pilot and to an extent the Engineer.

Sadly it is hard to connect to relatives who can't remember the Uncle who never came back all that time ago and others don't want to be reminded. I did ask all the churches/cemetary where the crew were buried to put up notices for contact but that was a long shot really. I wonder if my notice is still up?

This information is easy to come by:

755776 Sergeant Eric Barratt: RAF Volunteer Reserve. Aged 21
Buried at: Bestwood Park Colliery Cemetery, Sec. J. Grave 21

Does that agree with his headstone? I'd love to know anything you might find out about him.

Because Eric was in the rear turret he was not killed by the crushing of the front of the Stirling, however he would have been thrown around violently. There was a seat belt in the turret he may have had it on but it wasn't much of a restraint. The whole crew had been in a crash the week before when the Pilot landed on a Q-Site while under fire from an intruder. I talked to a nice man who had actually watched it happen.

If you let me have your email address (IM me) I will send you information about the crash and all I have on Eric.

Cheers
James
AdyStimpson
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by AdyStimpson »

Hello James

Many thanks for the reply. I have tried posting a photo of Eric's rather neglected headstone as taken last week, but the SS&RBC Forum throws up an error message saying the file is too large - and I've resized it several times to no avail.

Please contact me directly at adystimpson@gmail.com

I've had a life long (I'm 56) interest in Bomber Command. My great Uncle was Fl.Lt. Maurice Stimpson DFC, a Pathfinder Lancaster pilot with 156 Squadron, lost on a raid to Berlin out of Warboys on 15.2.44. I am currently in discussion with eminent German aviation archaeologist Uwe Benkel who believes he may have information pertaining to the crash site of my great Uncle's aircraft. He along with his crew were lost without trace that night.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

ADY STIMPSON
Bestwood Village
Nottinghamshire.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Hi Ady

Is your email corrrect? I'm not able to send anything there!

Cheers
James
AdyStimpson
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by AdyStimpson »

Hi James.
adystimpson@gmail.com is my correct email.

Regards

ADY
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

AdyStimpson wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:29 pm I have tried posting a photo of Eric's rather neglected headstone as taken last week, but the SS&RBC Forum throws up an error message saying the file is too large - and I've resized it several times to no avail.
Hello Ady,

I'm really sorry that the photo couldn't be published.
I'll be glad to help you to post the photo if you send it to me.
I'll give you my email address if you're OK.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
AdyStimpson
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by AdyStimpson »

Hello Bruno.

I am going back to the gravesite to clean up the headstone later this week. I will then take a new photograph and send it over to you.

Many thanks

ADY