Family Members sought

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
IWALKER
Sergeant
Sergeant

Family Members sought

Post by IWALKER »

Greetings! My name is Iain Walker and I've posted to this site previously. My Grandfather, Denis Lloyd (RAF No. 947277, POW No. 23610, 7 Squadron), was the sole survivor of his Stirling bomber when it was shot down on August 25th, 1941 over Aach, Germany. I have done considerable research with the assistance of Uwe Benkel in Germany who located the crash site, which I am planning to visit next April. I have been attempting to locate any family members of Denis' deceased flight crew, as we are planning a memorial of sorts at the crash site when we visit. I live in New York and as such my research is internet based and I have no real access or knowledge of databases that might be available in the UK that might prove helpful. If anyone happens to come across this request and has any insight, I would be extremely grateful. I have made contact with the Allan family in Canada. My research shows that John Wright was Irish and that John Duncan Edworthy was also Canadian.

Thank you for putting this forum together, it's great.

Best wishes and cheers from the U.S.

Iain Walker

1. R/61302 Sgt. (W.Op/Air Gnr.) William Everitt Allan (RCAF)
2. 87343 Flying Officer (Pilot) Kenneth Oswald Blunden (RAF)
3. 46121 Pilot Offr. (Air Gnr.) Edgar Frederick Drew (RAF)
4. R/63542 Sgt (Air Obs.) John Duncan Edworthy (RCAF)
5. 529189 Sgt. George Nicolson (RAF)
6. 65591 Pilot Offr. (Pilot) John David Wright (RAF)
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Family Members sought

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi

Slightly off topic but The National Archives have loads of the forms on which liberated POWs gave a report of how they were treated and the conditions in the camp, etc.

If they have your Grandfathers, he would have filled it out himself. Attached is an example - not a massive document, just a few pages.

Sadly you may have to get someone to go there or pay a researcher to look the form up, Possibly someone on a forum might look it up if they are going! What camp was he in? I have some information having researched another POW a while ago.

If it was Stalagluft III (Sagan) April 1942 - Jan 1945 then I have a document you may like.

Cheers
James
Attachments
Img_3463a.jpg
Img_3463a.jpg (83.08 KiB) Viewed 8865 times
IWALKER
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by IWALKER »

Thank you James - I have obtained these documents after receiving previous advice and guidance from this forum. Thank you very much!
abc man
Corporal
Corporal

Post by abc man »

Iain,

Before I type a lot of info you may already have, have you been in contact with Edworthy's family?
IWALKER
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by IWALKER »

Good morning!

My sincerest apologies for the late reply. I thought I would get auto notifications if I ever received a response. To answer your question, I have not been able to make contact with the Edworthy family. I was able to determine he was from Saskatoon/Canada with ties to Manitoba Canada and I contacted numerous prospective individuals but never received any substantive responses. Since I posted this I was able to make contact with a very distant relative of Kenneth Blunden but they did not seem overly interested in information I had to share (I'm travelling to the crash site in Germany in April 2019 where we recently found parts of the plane, etc.). Thank you again for your kind response. - Iain
Last edited by IWALKER on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IWALKER
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by IWALKER »

Hi James,

I was able to determine that my Grandfather Denis was in fact at Stalaglust III(Sagan) during the time period you referenced....Thanks!

Iain

August 1941: Dulag Luft - Germany
September 1941 – May 1942: Stalag VIIIB – Lamsdorf, Poland
May 1942 – May 1943: Stalag Luft III, Sagan, Germany
May 1943 – July 1944: Stalag Luft VI, Lithuania
July 1944 – August 1944: Stalag 357, Torun, Poland
August 1944 – April 1945: Stalag 357, Oerbke/Fallingbostel, West Germany

"If it was Stalagluft III (Sagan) April 1942 - Jan 1945 then I have a document you may like."

Cheers
James
[/quote]
abc man
Corporal
Corporal

Post by abc man »

IWALKER wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:59 pm Good morning!

My sincerest apologies for the late reply. I thought I would get auto notifications if I ever received a response. To answer your question, I have not been able to make contact with the Edworthy family. I was able to determine he was from Saskatoon/Canada with ties to Manitoba Canada and I contacted numerous prospective individuals but never received any substantive responses. Since I posted this I was able to make contact with a very distant relative of Kenneth Blunden but they did not seem overly interested in information I had to share (I'm travelling to the crash site in Germany in April 2019 where we recently found parts of the plane, etc.). Thank you again for your kind response. - Iain
Hi Iain,

Thankfully he came from a large family. Four brothers and three sisters.

Samuel George Edworthy b. 26 July 1895 d. 1953

Ellen Belle Duncan deceased Star City, Saskatchewan 3 May 1925.

Samuel then married Velma Vendetta (nee Healey) b. 21 February 1898, Warwick, Ontario d. 13 September 1968, Vancouver, British Columbia

John Duncan Edworthy's four brothers. He was a twin of James.

James Douglas Edworthy born 2 February 1915, Gladstone, Manitoba; deceased New Westminster, British Columbia 20 May 1972; married to Dorothy Morris; two daughters: Mrs Jane Weber of Burnaby, BC and Mrs Jill Chalmers of Vancouver, BC

Harry Pearse Edworthy born 1 November 1916, Gladstone, Manitoba; deceased White Rock, British Columbia 24 October 1994; married to Mrs H. Edworthy; son Wayne http://www.canada411.ca/res/6045768277/ ... 90187.html

Dr. Murray Aylmer Edworthy, born 9 October 1918, Gladstone, Manitoba; deceased White Rock, British Columbia 23 June 1995; married to Grace Thelma Therese Goddard (b. 30 March 1924 d. 23 July 2018) http://vancouversunandprovince.remember ... 1067588013 Previously married to Ann Maude McGillwray; deceased Vancouver 9 October 1977

Stanley George Edworthy, born 28 February 1934, Star City, Saskatchewan; deceased Vancouver 15 May 2004. Wife Gudrun alive as of 2018.

Three sisters:

Mary Jane Clifford of Burnaby, British Columbia. Born 11 November 1912, Gladstone, Manitoba. Married Murray William Clifford; two daughters, Jean Clifford of North Vancouver and Ora Lynn Fraser of Vancouver; deceased New Westminster 5 March 1993

Ora Edworthy Shivers, deceased Montevallo, Alabama 3 April 2006. Wife of Fred Alexander Shivers https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/ ... d=17311062

Irene Ellen Wert (nee Edworthy), born, Wife of Lorne Earl Wert (b. 11 March 1924, d. 17 September 2007, Edmonton) http://edmontonjournal.remembering.ca/o ... 1065607572

Irene address and phone number: https://411.ca/person/profile/37495893

Hope this helps.
four brothers in the air force.jpg
four brothers in the air force.jpg (99.22 KiB) Viewed 7988 times

died for his country.jpg
died for his country.jpg (76.67 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
IWALKER
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by IWALKER »

This is great and very useful. Now if I can just get someone to call me back and show some interest.

Thanks again,

Iain