Duel Controls - Question ?

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Duel Controls - Question ?

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi folks,

Here is a internal photo of Avro Manchester with duel controls. I was lead to believe that duel controls only came to fruition towards the end of the WW2 in Lancasters ............ yet here is an aircraft that had these controls in the earlier years. Can anyone clarify when duel controls first came about. Thanks.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

I challenge thee to a duel!

Post by kookabat »

The Stirling had duals, as did the Wellington - in fact most early bombers would have been fitted with two control seats as they were designed when a second pilot was routinely part of the crew. My understanding is that once the aircraft systems became a little more complicated and required a full-time flight engineer - and it was decided that losing two fully-trained pilots when an aircraft failed to return was costing too much in manpower and training capacity - the dual flying controls were 'designed out' of the newer heavies ie Halifaxes and Lancs and replaced with a dedicated flight engineer position.
Though, as seen on the two airworthy Lancs these days, there was/is a dual conversion kit available, they were designed to be flown by a single pilot. The Manchester would have had its genesis in the time of the second pilot so I suspect this is why it had the duals.

Adam
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: Duel Controls - Question ?

Post by ME453 »

Yep, I think that pretty much sums it up Adam! What's also interesting about the pic is the armour plate hinged down AND no yellow circle, whatever its purpose was (NO, let's not have that debate again!!).
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Many thanks Adam for your very informative reply. Even though I have been on BC forum for about six or seven years, I continue to learn more details each day, which is what these forums are all about.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

Hi all, my first post for a while.

I know of at least one Lancaster which had dual controls fitted in mid 1944. It was one of the dams Lancs, and logs confirm it was later used for dual practise.