Have the MoD changed their policy on Service Records?

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Have the MoD changed their policy on Service Records?

Post by kookabat »

Mornin' all.
I've been sent this link by Phil Bonner of Lincolnshire Aviation:
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/About ... sonnel.htm

It appears to suggest that the policy regarding the release of details from Service Records of UK servicemen to non-next of kin has been relaxed - that you no longer need the permission of the next of kin to access a deceased serviceman's records.

If I'm reading it right, this has significant potential for those of us (like me) still searching for families of other members of their relative's crew...

Adam
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Have the MoD changed their policy on Service Records?

Post by K4KittyCrew »

That really is good news, Adam. As you say, should help a lot of people, great stuff!
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Great news and long overdue, however the cynic in me thinks its a very good way of getting some much needed income into the poor old MoD. !! :?

Great news nevertheless :D
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by kookabat »

Ah yes, forgot to mention the 30-quid charge. It's always been in place (and is a right pain to try and pay from Oz... they only take cheques in sterling; I used the services of Max last time :)) but we've never before had access to anything without the NoK's permission.
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

kookabat wrote:Ah yes, forgot to mention the 30-quid charge. It's always been in place (and is a right pain to try and pay from Oz... they only take cheques in sterling; I used the services of Max last time :)) but we've never before had access to anything without the NoK's permission.
Hi Adam,

Yes £30 in deed, I paid for four earlier this year while researching a No.623 Squadron crew, sadly the reproduction quality was terrible, on two of the documents the vast majority of the information was unreadable, I re-contacted the department asking if a further attempt to copy the two documents could be made, given the very poor quility, the answer to my utter amusement was yes they can, please send £60. !!! :o :o

Who said the MoD had no sense of humour :lol: :lol:
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

That's very good news indeed, who knows they may do the same with their casualty reports next - now THAT would be interesting for researchers! Though Bill Chorley told me the incident of his suddenly being excluded from the area containing aircaft movement cards, cas. reps. etc because the MoD were concerned that if the public knew about them, they would be inundated with requests for information so the whole area was made "off limits".
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

The MoD are a pain. Its reasonable to ask for a fee for copying and the cost of paper etc, but the £30.00 is only a search fee and they dont promise to send anything. I had a large number of personnel to research. The Canadians sent me several pages of service details for free years ago (with one or two things blanked out), whilst if confirmed dead, the New Zealanders sent whole records, everything from school papers and marriage licences to service details. The Aussies have now put stuff online (which I admit could be embarrassing if the person is still alive), but the MoD are in the stone age.

I had a good contact at Airmens records who said that, as it was a war memorial project, I could have the service records of the last half dozen for free, so long as I got next of kin permission. The last one took five years to trace a family member, and after doing so I duly sent it off, only to be told £30.00 please. I had sent a copy of the letter saying I could have them for free but it cut no ice. So having few funds spare at the time, I waited 6 months. After paying the fee I was sent one sheet of photocopy giving service details. I wrote back saying where was the other side, giving further service details and a few family details (the man was killed in action in 1943). 'Oh no the rules have changed since you first applied' they said, 'for the £30.00 you get a copy of the service details and only a transcript of the other side, less family details.'

To say its a rip off is an understatement. If they opened it up more, made the fee £15.00 (or do like the Aussies do and digitise it so it can be seen online) they would make a fair bit of money and please a hell of a lot of people in the process. Especially when so many of us are trying to honour the memory of these men by revealing the details of how they met their end.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Yes, you make some valid points there Alex. I would be none too happy after experiencing your situation, mate.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

The only valid point I can see for witholding info is for any embarrassment it might cause to anyone still living, but, sad to say, we are getting to that point where its less relevant now.

Through my research, years ago I got friendly with the grandaughter of a Dambuster who had survived being shot down that night and we later 'went out' (and are still friends). I recently got his online service records and very interestingly, the WAAF who was his fiancee at the time (and whom he later married) was not his only 'squeeze', as another lady came forward as his fiancee, who was living in Wales!