Looking 617 Squadron Details

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Looking 617 Squadron Details

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Gents,

Definitely not my area of research, however I am after some background details on the squadron preparation for operation TAXABLE. I would like please any details on the following.

1. Were extra crews brought in.
2. Were extra aircraft brought in.
3. Were extra ground crews brought in
4. What modifications were made to their Lanc’s

Any details most welcome. :D

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Looking 617 Squadron Details

Post by halifax1 »

I suspect that Alec may have some info here Steve.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Thanks mate. !
The Nomads
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Steve,
Not sure if any help but, i have the ORB, can you give me a date, as i'm not aware of this operation.
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

AlanW wrote:Steve,
Not sure if any help but, i have the ORB, can you give me a date.
Alan.
May 1944, sorry a bit of a cheek. :shock:
The Nomads
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Steve

Is this of any help?

From http://www.raf.mod.uk/dday/timeline_june5.html

"Night 5/6 June Deception Sorties - The following deception sorties were flown by Bomber Command assets:

Operation TAXABLE. 16 Lancasters of No 617 Squadron dropped precise Window (chaff) patterns at low level, in conjunction with a Royal Navy deception operation, to simulate the invasion convoy approaching the coast at Cap d’Antifer.

Operation GLIMMER. 6 Stirlings of No 218 Squadron conducted a similar Window dropping operation to that of No 617 Sqn, to simulate an invasion convoy approaching Boulogne."

Dave
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Dave_Richardson wrote:Steve

Is this of any help?

From http://www.raf.mod.uk/dday/timeline_june5.html

"Night 5/6 June Deception Sorties - The following deception sorties were flown by Bomber Command assets:

Operation TAXABLE. 16 Lancasters of No 617 Squadron dropped precise Window (chaff) patterns at low level, in conjunction with a Royal Navy deception operation, to simulate the invasion convoy approaching the coast at Cap d’Antifer.

Operation GLIMMER. 6 Stirlings of No 218 Squadron conducted a similar Window dropping operation to that of No 617 Sqn, to simulate an invasion convoy approaching Boulogne."

Dave

Thanks Dave,

It was the days before the Operation I was interested in, thanks anyway, the following is from a draft from the book I am writing on 218 Squadron, just trying to add a little meat to it. ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE :? :?

With the squadron heavily involved in the pre – invasion build up the squadrons future role in this forth coming operation was being discussed and the part it would play in the greatest invasion yet undertaken. Due to the complex nature of the forth coming operation, Bomber Commands premier squadron, No.617, was approached in early May 1944 to evaluate the feasibility of such an operation. The operation would call for a high degree of flying ability and navigational accuracy, and above all crew discipline, this everyone knew 617 Squadron had in abundance. A meeting was held was on Sunday May 7th 1944 at No.54 Base, Woodhall Spa to discuss the forth coming raid. As would be expected a number of high-ranking personnel from the Air Ministry and senior Bomber Command officers were present. The meeting was chaired by Air Commodore Dalton Morris (Chief Signals Officer, HQ Bomber Command). Also attending the meeting was Air Commodore H.A.Costantine (Operations, HQ Bomber Command), Air Commodore Sharp, Base Commander No.54 Base and finally the commanding officer No.617 Squadron, Wing Commander Cheshire, D.S.O, D.F.C.
A number of points were raised by Wing Commander Cheshire who expressed his concerns about the complexity of the operation and the strain it would place upon his crews. The assembled senior staff listened to Cheshire’s concerns and dually agreed that given the critical nature of the operation his recommendations should be put into action immediately. As a consequence of Wing Commander Cheshire's concerns a second navigator would operate with each of the selected crews. An extra GEE set would be fitted to each Lancaster and the provision of an additional GEE chute would be fitted to each of the squadron's Avro Lancaster’s to deliver the required amount of 'Window'.
Experience relief pilots would be posted from within No.5 Group to the squadron to augment the squadron’s already overworked crews, and finally extra personnel for maintenance and servicing would be required. Like the Dam Raids exactly a year before, No.617 Squadron set about trying to achieve what seemed an impossible task. Within a matter of days the new modifications were successfully carried out and additional personnel joined the squadron. An intense period of training had begun. The squadron was living up to its premier status.
On Wednesday 17th May 1944 a special meeting was held at HQ Bomber Command, High Wycombe. Once again the meeting was Chaired by Air Commodore Dalton Morris. Twenty two senior Bomber Command and Royal Naval officers were in attendance, including the Vice Admiral of Dover, Commodore Jessel, R.N. This meeting was again attended by Wing Commander Cheshire and for the first time Wing Commander Fenwick-Wilson, this meeting finalised the planning of the forth coming operation. It was a baptism of fire for the young Canadian.
The Nomads
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Steve,
I'm going to send you the pages from the ORB for May, and June 5/6th, you will note that during May, the squadron were under "intensive training" and the only sorties carried out, were by 4 of the squadrons Mosquito's (Cheshire, Shannon, Kearns and Fawke) on 3rd May when they bombed a military camp at Mailly. The outcome of the ops for 5/6th June were not recorded in the Details of Sortie column in the ORB.
Could you pm your email address please.
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Alan,

For some reason cannot pm you.

Anyways, my email address is

threegrouprafATyahoo.co.uk ( replace the AT :o )

steve
The Nomads
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

Steve

Perhaps I can help (I assume David meant me although he spelt my name wrong! See what happens when you get old ;) ) I've been researching 617 Squadron for some years now, and was asked to write a Squadron history which was published last October.

Like Operation 'Glimmer', 'Taxable' was a diversionary operation further up the coast. Essentially the crews would fly towards the French coast dropping 'window' at predetermined intervals, before turning for home. At a given point they turned again for France and repeated the exercise, the 'loop' creeping ever nearer the French coast. This gave the impression that a seaborne force was on its way, and getting closer, when in fact nothing was there!

The emphasis in the days before was on pin point navigating and getting the timings right. Each Lancaster had the usual crew on board, plus several others from another crew, making between 11 and 14 on board each aircraft. The usual crew did their normal jobs, the second navigator using red and green lights to indicate when to drop. Different sizes of window were used too.

To answer your specific questions:

No extra crews were brought in,
No extra aircraft were brought in (with effectively two crews on each Lancaster they werent needed)
No extra groundcrews were brought in
The aircraft werent modified although they had a red/green light system rigged up. What form this took exactly I'm not certain.

Alan probably has a fair bit, but if there are any other queries, let me know.

Alex