Looking for information on Stirling Aircraft & Crews ?

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Looking for information on Stirling Aircraft & Crews ?

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Fozman wrote:Hi John,

Thanks for the reply... I realise it's a very long shot that with the little information that I have we'll be able to truly get to the bottom of it, but perhaps it's one of those one in a million chances that happen nine times out of ten that Terry Pratchett keeps writing about! :lol:

Oh, yes, I forgot to add... it's "Colin" :D

Cheers
Colin (aka Fozman)
Hi Colin, is this your page ................ if not, you may gain some information from it. Harder and his link to 434 Sqn Bomber Command.
Cheers,
John
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct= ... 5455117190

Plus his photo Album ............... With some Bomber Command photos ............
http://www.menintheshed.com/the-men/men ... oto-album/
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

lynnkeleher wrote:Just wanted to clarify slightly the information to Tony re J W Salmon. The final name in the list should have been Sgt. E H Winzar, KIA, not Sgt. E H Winter, KIA. I am also wondering if you have garnered any additional information on this crew. Sgt. Winzar was my grandfather. I have requested additional info from RAF Cranwell - hopefully it will shed some light.
Hello 'lynnkelher' and welcome to the forum.
I hope we can assist you. I will look into this and come back to you.

If any members wish to help out, please do so.
Cheers,
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Fozman
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Fozman »

K4KittyCrew wrote:
Fozman wrote:Hi John,

Thanks for the reply... I realise it's a very long shot that with the little information that I have we'll be able to truly get to the bottom of it, but perhaps it's one of those one in a million chances that happen nine times out of ten that Terry Pratchett keeps writing about! :lol:

Oh, yes, I forgot to add... it's "Colin" :D

Cheers
Colin (aka Fozman)
Hi Colin, is this your page ................ if not, you may gain some information from it. Harder and his link to 434 Sqn Bomber Command.
Cheers,
John
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct= ... 5455117190

Plus his photo Album ............... With some Bomber Command photos ............
http://www.menintheshed.com/the-men/men ... oto-album/
Been away for ages & clearing out a few emails realised that I'd not checked back...

So, John, yes those are my web pages... http://www.menintheshed.com is where I'm collating all of my information....

Cheers
Colin
jimmyjama
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by jimmyjama »

Hi

I'm looking for information on my Grandad who flew Sterlings on his first tour, from February 1942, he then completed a second tour on Halifax's.

I've got some information from my Nan but I'm not sure where to start really. Any advice would be gratefully received. Here's what I know:

Name: David Hammond
DOB: 21/01/1922 - I know he lied about his age to sign up so he may have said 1921
RAF service number: 206371471
Joined Bomber Command on 11/11/1942
He was a flight engineer
One of his squadrons was 149
Bombed Dresden
One of his aircraft was K for Kitty
In 1944 was based at Sherperdsgrove (was mainly stationed in Norfolk)

If somebody could point me in the direction of where I can find out other info that would be great
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello 'jimmyjama' and welcome to the forum.

We will try to assist you with some details. Do you have any photos or alike?
Cheers,
John
the jolly duck
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by the jolly duck »

hello,i am the youngest son of the late flt engineer cecil ronald johnston 570 sqn. (known as johnny,ron),on special ops.,the stirling e7y was subsequently shot down over zevenhausen in the netherlands,there is a pic of the downed aircraft in the book "de dag de manna viel"(the day the bread fell),all survived the crash ,my father with his back against the bulkhead below the cockpit,the tail gunner suffered the worst,they were split up by the dutch resistance,dad and 2 others being taken to a farm where they would have been ok,but for a visit by a uniformed german officer who they saw fit to capture and detain,only to discover that this officer turned out to be an innocent fireman coming to the farm for eggs!,i will have to continue later as my library pc time is up,i do have 2 pieces from this crash site given to my dad on a visit to holland by a mr veerman.thank you.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Nice to hear your story and we do hope you can continue with further details and alike.
Cheers,
John
the jolly duck
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by the jolly duck »

hello,i am looking for any info. on stirling e7y shot down over zevenhausen in the netherlands while on special ops.,this was one of my late fathers aircraft,c.r.johnston 295+570squadron.i have his flight engineers notes,and also 2 pieces recovered from the aircraft+his compass from his flying boots,i am the youngest son,(3+1 daughter),and have an avid interest and knowledge regarding the crash and aftermath/eventual capture.having visited the monestry and room where my father was held prisoner ,we were there in 1981.the aircraft is pictured in "de dag de manna viel"-the day the bread fell book.where you can see clearly the fuselage and markings,any info will be welcomed,thank you. ian j.
the jolly duck
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by the jolly duck »

hello again,before my father was taken to the farm,he,and his crewmates were routineley taken to one of the dutch undergrounds meeting places known as "the jolly duck"(i have paintings/pictures of this building ,i will try to photograph and show these,following his capture from the aforementioned farm,my father was interrogated and threatened by a senior german officer upon which his reply to all questions was his number only.!!,i unfortunately suffered a stroke last nov.but...........that is nothing if i compare it with being shot down in another country during wartime and surviving.regards ian j.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Sorry for the delay in replying but I'm away working and won't be home till this Saturday. If other members can assist, please do, otherwise l will have a look then.
Cheers,
John