Looking for information on Stirling Aircraft & Crews ?

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Oggie2620
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Re: Looking for information on Stirling Aircraft & Crews ?

Post by Oggie2620 »

Kevin have you tried the Associations for the Squadrons if they have one. Have a look on http://www.associations.rafinfo.org.uk/squadron.htm you never know some of those pilots might be alive and there may be photos. Might be worth also trying the Imperial War Museum and RAF Museum for photos. I know my friend went to the IWM reference 75 Sqn and came back with loads.
Dee
chromeboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by chromeboy »

Oggie2620 wrote:Kevin have you tried the Associations for the Squadrons if they have one. Have a look on http://www.associations.rafinfo.org.uk/squadron.htm you never know some of those pilots might be alive and there may be photos. Might be worth also trying the Imperial War Museum and RAF Museum for photos. I know my friend went to the IWM reference 75 Sqn and came back with loads.
Dee
i had a look for the associations for his squadrons but 44 seems to have been closed down/ discontinued & i haven't been able to find one for 1661 HCU.

re the IWM - is that an online resource or do i have to go in person?

cheers
Kevin
Coxy
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Coxy »

K for Kitty Crew wrote:This 'post' is directed to any new visitors / members who may be -

Looking For Details On ...

* Stirling aircraft serial numbers / Squadron codes.
* Aircrew personnel / crew members.
* Operation losses - Crews / Aircraft.
* Other request.

In the first instance, if you can provide a little detail, every little bit helps in tracing information on a crew / aircraft.

Helpful Starting Details

* Name of Crew member.
* Name of Squadron.
* Any known Dates.
* Aircraft Codes / Serial Numbers.
* Other details.

If you are unable to supply any of the above data, depending on the request, with our resource base, we will endeavour to answer your query to the best of our ability.

Regards,
John, Dom, Chris & Bruno
Hello all,

I'd love to find out more on my Grandfather's time in Bomber Command. My mum recently got some paper work through but It still doesn't tell to much.

His name was Dennis William Charles Smith.
No: 1435539
12.3.1943 90 Squadron

There is a fair bit more on there but I'm having trouble reading it. I know he flew Stirlings but I dont really know in what capacity. If anyone could dig up anymore or even maybe help with what I could look for I would be very greatful.

John
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

notned wrote:Gentlemen, allow me to introduce myself,

My Name is Paul Denton and i live in New Zealand.I am married to the lovely Mamiko and we have 2 sons, Sebastian and Charlie.
I collect RNZAF Wartime memorabilia, Tunics, ( Named) Flying gear, hats, webbing, Books, medals and badge both cloth and metal.Basically i try to complete ensembles that i can display on a mannequin.

My main focus is collecting named gear, therefore i get to research the man behind the items. I can then dress up a mannequin in his uniform etc, and display him and tell his story. Not all chaps who served were decorated for their efforts and this is one way to preserve their memory.

I was recently given a Stirling pilots uniforms hat, medals and photographs and a copy of his logbook,, ( Hope to get the real logbook soon) He flew with 15 SQn Between 8/2/43 to the 26/8/43 after completing a full tour of Ops.
His Name:F/O ( later Flt/Lt) Francis Irvine Norris RNZAF.
He and his crew flew Stirling BK-654 LS-W
From the book, the history of 15 Squadron, while he gets a few mentions in the history there is no photo of him and his crew. A quick look at the history and I think it said that one time he flew an aircraft called Madam X.

On the 16 April 1943 on an attack on Mannheim, F/O Norris flying Stirling BK654 LS-W came under the attention of the searchlights for ten minutes but after much evasive action BK654 managed to slip into the safety of the night. The gunners fired on the base of the blinding ray and much to their amazement the tenacious beams went out. At the de-briefing F/O Norris and his crew reported a friendly aircraft being shot down and three parachutes emerging from the stricken bomber.
One Sortie that they had a bit of a “Shaky Do” is described below…
on the 4/5 May 1943 they attacked Dortmund, he was flying Stirling BK654 LS-W, just as they were about to release their bombs they were hit by flak, one engine was hit and the blades broke off and hit the other engine this was at 01.14 hours, they jettisoned the bombs over the target area and returned to base.

On an attack on Dortmund on the 23 May 1943. F/L Norris was forced to return early when the electrical circuits operating the bomb doors on his Stirling failed.

Gil Marsh was detailed to fly with F/L Norris on the 3 July 1943 for an attack on Cologne, he took off at 23.30 in Stirling BK654 LS-W before they reached Amsterdam 6 aircraft went down. By the time they reached the target it was a blazing inferno with smoke palls rising to approximately 8000 feet. Their job done they turned their Stirling for home.

On the 24/25 July 1943 F/L Norris was detailed to attack Hamburg, but he had trouble with his starboard inner engine of BK654 LS-W and had to return early and landed at home base after jettisoning his bombs safe in the sea at 00.25.
This is what he got up to after being tour expired;
to 1657 CU 25/8/43 presumably as staff pilot/instructor, for his "rest" tour),
Whilst in the UK he also attended an OTU Staff Pilots course (No.45) at
3 FIS 31/8 - 28/9/43, attended a Hercules engine course (No. 146) at No. 1
ECDU (at 11 OTU, Westcott) 15/4 - 9/5/44, and qualified for a Cat B ME
instructors rating (Instructors Category on Multi-Engine aircraft) on
27/10/44. (He passed all these courses).
Presume the course at 3 FIS was to prepare him for his duties at 1657 CU, and the Hercules engine course would be to brush up on his engine handling at the same unit, so that he could pass on his accumulated wisdom with some theoretical understanding to
his pupils. I am not so certain about his qualification as a Cat B-ME
instructor but it was possibly completed within the 1657 (Heavy) CU, and was
possibly formally qualifying for duties that he had in fact been carrying
out for the previous 12 months or so!

I have him noted as being at 13 OTU 14/11/44 (Mosquito conversion and re-crewing, etc),
to 2 GSU (2 Group Support Unit) 25/2/45,

Frank went on to fly Mosquitos with 487 (NZ) SQN from the 6/3/45 Flying one Op on the night of 8-9/3/45
Which was the night bombing of a marshalling yard using the apparatus called "Gee",between 2155 – 0025 hours

Any info on him and his crew would be appreciated, photos of BK654 would be excellent!

Anyway i hope to enjoy the company of other forumites and learn more!

Kind regards from New Zealand
Paul Denton
Hi Paul,

ANY information on No.XV Squadron should be directed to Martyn Ford Jones the official XV Squadron historian, Martyn has spent most of his adult life researching the exploits of this squadron and had two books published on the subject.

I have just spoke to him and he is happy to help in anyway, his email address is

mfj_xvhistorian@hotmail.co.uk

Give him a try, you will not be dissappointed ;) ;)

Regards

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

sundancer wrote:Hello.
A new member from Canada, I have been scanning messages with great interest. Would anyone have information about Stirling # W7428 or its crew?
A late uncle, Flight Sergeant James LLoyd Ruthven,(F72419) of Ontario, Canada, was on his 3rd operational mission with 15 Squadron during a daylight raid 18/12/41 over Brest, France, after which he was declared missing, then KIA.
In a letter to his mother, Wing Commander P.B.B. Ogilvie expressed his condolances, and reported that the Stirling was last seen losing altitude over the target and presumed to have been hit by fighter aircraft. Where it came down was then unknown.
Thanks for any help.
Steve from Canada
Hi Steve,

Again late on this one.. :o

ANY information on No.XV Squadron should be directed to Martyn Ford Jones the official XV Squadron historian, Martyn has spent most of his adult life researching the exploits of this squadron and had two books published on the subject.

I have just spoke to him and he is happy to help in anyway, his email address is

mfj_xvhistorian@hotmail.co.uk

Give him a try, you will not be dissappointed

Regards

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
tigger25
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by tigger25 »

I am trying to find any information on David Michael Turner Watts who was a Stirling Bomber navigator. Died 16 April 1943. He appears to be buried in Rheinberg war cemetery Coll grave 20 A13-14. Service number 1312572, 75th squadron
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

You probably have the details below from the CWGC:

WATTS, DAVID MICHAEL TURNER
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Unit Text: 75 Sqdn.
Date of Death: 16/04/1943
Service No: 1312572
Additional information: Husband of Joan Watts, of Cody's, Queen's Co., New Brunswick, Canada.

He was flying in Stirling W7469 AA-O, airborne 2217 from Newmarket, probably shot down by Hptm Heinrich Wohlers of Stab IV./NJG4 at 01.15 near Kranich, west of Katzenbach.

P/O K.F.Debenham RNZAF KIA
Sgt D.Wainwright PoW
WO2 R.J.Barnes RCAF KIA
Sgt D.M.T.Watts KIA
Sgt P.B.Pearson KIA
Sgt J.L.Marlow KIA
Sgt J.J.Davis KIA

Regards
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
tigger25
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by tigger25 »

Thanks Max!
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

I note that in Errol Martin's book he has the Stirling "crashing close to midnight to the north of the village of Katzenbach, 23 km NNW of Kaiserslautern".

A photo of the Pilot Keven Frederick Debenham here;

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/database ... +1939-1945
GazzaW
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by GazzaW »

Hi Paul,

I have just emailed you regarding F/O Francis (Frank) Norris, RNZAF. I lucked on to this site this afternoon doing one of my searches for crewmates of my father F/Sgt George (Gerry) Westwood.
My dad was Frank Norris' mid-upper gunner for the entire tour from Feb-Aug 1942. I have dad's logbook sitting in front of me and it's a tad eery reading almost matching entries from Frank. I do have a crew list but no crew photo, however, I have a recently restored Squadron photo taken in March, 1942 and my father has indicated the crew members of BK654. Funnily enough we ended up in New Zealand due in part to Frank Norris - we emigrated here in 1953. Dad died in Rotorua in 2000 and mum is still alive & well there. I live in Auckland and hopefully we can exchange some information.
At the end of the tour my father volunteered for piolt training and was sent to Calgary in 1944 where he gained his wings but did not get back to the UK before VE Day.

Regards.

Gary