617 sqn Operation Skylark

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

617 sqn Operation Skylark

Post by wayne »

Hi all,

While surfing around I found a photo of a Lancaster dropping some sort of boat.
The caption said it was a 617 squadron aircraft, the date was 17 Jan 45, and it was Operation Skylark.
I hope Alex or someone can tell me a little more.
I'll post the photo when I get organised 8-)

Thanks,
Wayne.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: 617 sqn Operation Skylark

Post by PAFG »

Something to do with clearing the flooded areas of Holland?
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

The exercise (as opposed to an operation) involved four aircraft from 617 Squadron lightly modified to carry a boom patrol boat in the bomb bay. This was a light boat whose bow was filled with explosive, the intention being that it was dropped, complete with a crew, who would then motor the boat towards its target, bailing out before it hit and exploded.

The original plan called for the four aircraft to fly down to Exeter where they would take part in the drop just off the coat. Two would head back to Woodhall Spa where the equipment was removed, the other two would land at Exeter Aerodrome for two other crews to repeat the exercise the next day. On the day (January 17th) the four flew down to the south coast in formation and after a check, made their drops from 2000ft, which overall went well. The two subsequent drops were never made and the plan dropped. Incredibly, on each drop, a Royal Marine was aboard each boat druing the flight and for the drop, in contact with the crew via the intercom.

The name 'Skylark' was I think the name of the boat. There never was an 'Operation Skylark' as it was never an operation, the drops coming under the name 'Exercise Teignmouth'.

Here is a still from a film of the drop showing the first aircraft (DV393, KC - R), flown by Australian Phil Martin with the boat leaving the bomb bay. I included quite a long passage in my book ('No. 617 Dambusters Squadron'), along with another photo, further details and a colour plate.
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Thanks Alex, I had Googled Operation Skylark and couldn't find anything.
Now I know why.
I'm amazed there was a Royal marine aboard the boat when it was dropped from 2,000 feet :o
This is the photo i saw on the web.
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

Yeah, that photo appears in the book Bouncing Bomb Man, by Iain Murray, and in there he mentions 'Operation Skylark'. I suspect thats where the error occurs on the name, and where it and the photo were taken from.

Here are a couple of other shots, from the bomb bay as the boat fell, the boat under the three chutes, and splashdown. Although the Marines were all fine the RAF crews werent impressed by the way they were treated.
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

It makes me think about Halifaxes of 298 & 644 Squadrons, 38 Group who dropped jeeps over occupied Europe ...but without passengers!

Photos taken from this links:
http://www.combatreform.org/groundvehiclephotos.htm
http://www.paradata.org.uk/media/13888? ... aItem=9148

Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

Some very nice pipctures bruno. My uncle was SAS in France and probably used some of those jeeps.