Questions from a New Member ......

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Questions from a New Member ......

Post by K4KittyCrew »

To: K4KittyCrew
Hi, thanks for getting me started with your excellent forum, I have a few questions for you;

My father was a WOP / AG in 218 from 20/06/43 to 01/11/44 on Stirling's and then Lanc's in 218 at Downham Market / Woolfox Lodge and Methwold. He then went to 242 21/03/45 to 15/07/46 on Stirling's and York's.

1. There are a few entries that just say special target in January 44 is their any way I can find out what these are.

2. I am happy to share the details of his log book if this would be of interest just not sure of the best way to do it.I also have a few quite good pic's of him with the rest of the crew in front of the aircraft that he flew in.

3. I am a model flyer and would be interested in anything that you may have about any plans for a Radio controlled model of a Stirling.

Regards.

Dave D
Above are a few questions that new member 'Dave D' has put forward to me. I would like to open it up to the members so we can obtain as much detail as possible.
If any member can assist with details, please come forward. I will do some digging too.

Dave, I would certainly like you to post some photos and details on your father.I have compiled other log book post for members and would certainly like to help out here.
If you wish to post them, please do .............. if you wish myself or another member to post them and or assist, please advise and I will send you my email address.

I would suggest we start a post specially on your father and his crew, ie- The Logbook of ........... and his Crew.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: Questions from a New Member ......

Post by AlanW »

Would the dates in January be on the night of 4/5th, 14/15th, 21/22nd and 25/26th.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
149NUTS
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by 149NUTS »

Reference the 'Special Duties' Ops that we can come across in Log Books and ORB's. Squadrons other than 138 and 161 were involved in these operations and I have frequently been frustrated by the dead end of, "Special Duty carried out." In my case , I extended the search to the Station ORBs .... and there they were. Buried in the text were the drop zones and other information that I had been looking for. If not for a far more eagle-eyed friend, I would still be in the dark!
Hope this helps others, as it helped me.

Alan F
149 Sqn Hist
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

K4KittyCrew wrote:From: Dave D
To: K4KittyCrew
Hi, thanks for getting me started with your excellent forum, I have a few questions for you;

My father was a WOP / AG in 218 from 20/06/43 to 01/11/44 on Stirling's and then Lanc's in 218 at Downham Market / Woolfox Lodge and Methwold. He then went to 242 21/03/45 to 15/07/46 on Stirling's and York's.

1. There are a few entries that just say special target in January 44 is their any way I can find out what these are.

2. I am happy to share the details of his log book if this would be of interest just not sure of the best way to do it.I also have a few quite good pic's of him with the rest of the crew in front of the aircraft that he flew in.

3. I am a model flyer and would be interested in anything that you may have about any plans for a Radio controlled model of a Stirling.

Regards.

Dave D
Above are a few questions that new member 'Dave D' has put forward to me. I would like to open it up to the members so we can obtain as much detail as possible.
If any member can assist with details, please come forward. I will do some digging too.

Dave, I would certainly like you to post some photos and details on your father.I have compiled other log book post for members and would certainly like to help out here.
If you wish to post them, please do .............. if you wish myself or another member to post them and or assist, please advise and I will send you my email address.

I would suggest we start a post specially on your father and his crew, ie- The Logbook of ........... and his Crew.
Cheers,
John
Gents,

The “special” targets were the in fact V1 rocket sites or facilities (Crossbow targets) around the Pas de Calais area. No.218 (Gold Coast) was given a number of sites to attack using GH. This was in the infancy of GH and results were at best moderate. I have a number of Log Books from the squadron and these targets are often referred to as “Special target” of “Secret targets” I am not 100% sure that the crews were fully aware of the threat of the V1 at this time.

No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron detached 13 crews under the leadership of A Flights S/Ldr John Overton to RAF Tempsford over the moon period of March 5th to March 17th 1944 carrying out a number of supply drops in advance of D-Day.

Regards

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
Dave D
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Dave D »

Hi Guys, a few answers and a few more questions;

The special targets were on the 4/5 21/22 25/26 Jan so thanks for that.

There are a couple of entries for Tempsford on the 11th and 13th of March 44 but the flying time is only just over 1 hour and in two different Stirlings ( EF185 and EF124 ) so not sure about that one.

I will start a link in the log book section as you have suggested. I have photographed his log book and the photos that I have of him with his crew out side his aircraft ready to up-load, do you want it in the same section or some where else? There are 66 images all together.I would be quite happy to send them to you John so that you can use what you want if that is to many to put up.

Just so that you know my farther is second from the left (F/SGT)stood by the door of Stirling EF124 R and second from the right (F/O) in front of the Lancaster ME842 R

Many thanks for all the help.
Dave D
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi Dave,
I put the dates down, but not the targets, just in case i was off track, but they were as Steve said, V1 launch sites.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.