15 Squadron Stirling I EF333 LS-X

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
simsbabe
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

15 Squadron Stirling I EF333 LS-X

Post by simsbabe »

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am looking for information regarding my uncle,his name was Harold Sherratt and he was a member of squadron 15 based at Bourn, he flew a in a Stirling I EF333 LS-X. He died in a mission on the 3rd of March 1943 and has a memorial at Runnymede. I was wondering if anyone had any information or photos of him and his crew? Many thanks Melissa x
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 15 Squadron Stirling I EF333 LS-X

Post by Bruno »

Hello and welcome Melissa,

I already saw on other websites that you have details of the mission.
I think that to obtain more you should contact the XV Squadron historian:
Martyn Ford-Jones
48 Caraway Drive
Wood Hall Park
Swindon
Wiltshire
SN2 2RF
Email: mjf_xvhistorian@hotmail.co.uk

Martyn Ford-Jones should help you.

The XV Squadron Association has a website at http://www.xvsqnassociation.co.uk/index.htm

Steve, who is registered as 'smudgersmith218' on the forum, is one of our researchers and could also help you as XV Squadron was in 3 Group in March 1943.

Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
simsbabe
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by simsbabe »

Many thanks for your help x
thegypsy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by thegypsy »

There used to be a comprehensive list on the Bourn Parish Council website giving the names and details of all Squadrons based there who were either killed or ended up as POW's or injured.

This then got transferred to a RAF Bourn memorial website which no longer seems to be active so all those details are lost or so it would appear.

Had it been in existence still those details you are requesting would be available to view.

I have looked at book Oxfords Own and I see that EF333 LS-X was piloted by P/O William Moffatt and was shot down during a raid on Hamburg. The aircraft crashed into the North Sea west of Texel, Holland killing all on board.

Harold Sherratt was a Sgt Air Gunner aged 19
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thanks to 'thegypsy' for your information. Please keep us informed on any further details.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"