Crash photos..Wellington?

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Ludford101
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Crash photos..Wellington?

Post by Ludford101 »

Afternoon chaps ... just scanned in these photo's .. no info sadly but printed on AM paper.
Is it a Wellington ?? and if so can anyone with better interpretation skills than myself id the squadron code ??
I am thinking VU ?.... I imagine the locals had a shock with the back end of a bomber at the bottom of the garden !!
Cheers Gary
Attachments
Crash~3x.jpg
Crash~3x.jpg (45.21 KiB) Viewed 8134 times
Crash~2x.jpg
Crash~2x.jpg (45.12 KiB) Viewed 8134 times
Crash~1x.jpg
Crash~1x.jpg (42.33 KiB) Viewed 8134 times
Motto :Mens agitat molem - 'Mind over matter'.

Welfare Secretary 101 Squadron Association
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: Crash photos..Wellington?

Post by AlanW »

Most definatley a Wellington, by the looks of the Geodetic construction in view in the first photo, but where is the squadron code in the photo's. Is it possible to send a scan of the photo with the code in it to me via email for a closer look. wellsalan7ATgmail.com replacing the AT.
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

yes Gary, Alan is on the money.
Here is a larger scan of it.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Ludford101
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Ludford101 »

Thanks chaps ... I thought it looked Wimpyish from the tail section... which is the bit in the garden in the third photograph.
Alan .. I will email you a better scan of this..
Cheers
Gary

AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Well i thought i had the squadron code earlier on, and in my haste, i emailed Gary with my thoughts, until i realised i was looking at the wrong time period. After a much longer look at the enlarged code, and taking in mind the angle of the tail section, it could well be a "Y" or "X" as i first thought. The second letter, taking the angle in mind, could a "W" or possibly a "H". XW could point to 18 OTU.
Attachments
Crash~1 (1).jpg
Crash~1 (1).jpg (3.59 KiB) Viewed 8109 times
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

A Wellington frame on show.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

An 18 OTU Wellington, marked "XW" not unlike the markings on Gary's photo.
Attachments
18 OTU.jpg
18 OTU.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 8101 times
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

I have found a "possible" Wellington crash for the a/c in the photo, if it is indeed an 18 OTU a/c, which i strongly believe it is. On the 7th March 44, 18 OTU Wellington HE818, crashed just after take off, at Blyth, just North of Worksop. According to a report on a website for RAF Worksop, the aircraft crashed close to where a memorial for the crew now stands, by the village green. In the photo that John has enlarged, there appears to be an area, not unlike a green in the background. Note, i only say "possible"
Ludford101
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Ludford101 »

Great info guys... I will endeavour to check this possibility out as I only live about 20 miles away from Blyth !!!
Lets see if the old village grapevine still works... a visit to the nearest local pub should do the trick :P
Again many thanks.
Gary.
(will try to get round to uploading a few more recent finds soon... I have a nice set of plans for Fraser-Nash Turrets and one for bomb winches and cable cutters.... these apparently were placed on the wings??) ;)

AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Something that i forgot in my previous post, is that only the rear gunner survived the crash at Blyth, and as you can see by the photo, the tail section is the only intact area of the aircraft.