What's a 'spindle'?

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

What's a 'spindle'?

Post by kookabat »

Yes, I'm still trawling through the 467 Squadron ORBs. Here's an interesting comment from F/L Jack Colpus after the 15MAR44 raid on Stuttgart:
M/U gunner reported that taboo apparatus was u/s in turret when above 10000ft near posn 'A' and shortly afterwards near posn. 'B'. Rear gunner reported that rear turret was becoming slow and jerky. Spindle went flat and M/U gunner topped it up at least 40 times before getting to target.
What's a spindle?
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com
colinpateman
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: What's a 'spindle'?

Post by colinpateman »

I do recall reading that the Mid upper Gunner was responsible for topping up oil but I dont remember to what piece of equipment, the obvious answer is a turret oil reserve but which one I know not.
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

The hydraulic revolving mechanism that operated the turret at a guess? I am sure Dennis or (PAFG) Richard will have some "Gen" on it.

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Nocturna mors wrote: I am sure Dennis or (PAFG) Richard will have some "Gen" on it.
:D Thanks Tom, no pressure then! The spindle sat on top of the master cylinder for the rear turret hydraulics (near the turret doors). If it could be pushed down, there was air in the system and turret performance would suffer. In flight, if a leak in the hydraulics was suspected, the m/u could check the spindle and add oil if necessary, leaving the rear turret manned throughout.

Cheers,

Richard
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by kookabat »

Well that was easy! Also explains why the turret was slow and jerky. Thanks Richard.
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com