An unidentified conflagration!

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: An unidentified conflagration!

Post by GuyMassey »

There is only one photograph, the first one. The others are sections of that picture posted by members to illustrate their theories. My dad's memory is not great, but he says that it was the aftermath of a crash. It could of course have been a training or check flight in which case it may not have been armed? In my mind the wreckage in the fore ground rules out a deliberate burning.
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

halifax1 wrote:Not a clue really!
Nothing new there then!
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Yes, Guy - cannot see (as I said) that it was deliberate burning - certainly not in the position it is and I do not think that they burnt aircraft as such as the airframe for example would have been used for spares etc. An accident is the most likely explanation.

Yes Max - I try to be modest because it is so easy to look down on some people unintentionally, even though I am only 5 feet two inches tall!

Sqdn Ldr Cloolless.
Denonline
BC Veteran
BC Veteran

Post by Denonline »

Good to see you both back on form ;) ;)

I note that the tail wheel appears to have broken away, finishing up alongside the stbd fin.
This suggests that the a/c could have slewed violently to stbd, the missing wing parts being anywhere towards the nose. If the object above the wing was a tail fin, it woulf suggest a collision, I note the fire in the smoke fwd of the main blaze suggests a second cause, possibly a wing or other a/c.

Unowhoo.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Den,
Even though i thought from the beginning, that this was the result of a prang, i must admit, i missed the fact about the tail wheel :oops:
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Can't go with the Halifax fin - wrong shape and proportions - and the item in question may be behind the tree - see foliage. Not sure about the tailwheel either. The engines are low slung and may have been pushed under the wings. The fuselage has broken along the join just behind the main spar, and rolled to port. Convinced the starboard aileron is on the ground below the wing. There appears to be a code letter in front of the roundel but you would expect two letters in that position on the stbd side.

Lancasters were at Chedburgh 1944 - 1945.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

halifax1 wrote:Can't go with the Halifax fin - wrong shape and proportions.
Scarily, I'm with shorty on this one, I don't think it's a Halifax fin either. Lots of possible interpretations about the picture but something about it suggests an actual crash to me rather than a set up for a training exercise.

Sqdn Ldr Lanc. E. Knott
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

One thing's for certain, it's either the longest Lanc. on record or it is broken into about three sections. The bit sticking up could be part of the port wing as the front turret is at the far right of the picture. Whatever happened, it is definitely a hell of a mess.
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

R5868 wrote:One thing's for certain, it's either the longest Lanc. on record or it is broken into about three sections. The bit sticking up could be part of the port wing as the front turret is at the far right of the picture. Whatever happened, it is definitely a hell of a mess.
Kerry, are you saying that it can't be patched up and given to Heavy Conversion Unit ?
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

K4KittyCrew wrote:
R5868 wrote:One thing's for certain, it's either the longest Lanc. on record or it is broken into about three sections. The bit sticking up could be part of the port wing as the front turret is at the far right of the picture. Whatever happened, it is definitely a hell of a mess.
Kerry, are you saying that it can't be patched up and given to Heavy Conversion Unit ?
Ah, now if it were an HCU aircraft it may not have been armed, and that would explain the brave photographer! I'll be seeing dad this evening and will probe for answers! :-)
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.