BOMBER COMMAND DOCUMENTARY

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

BOMBER COMMAND DOCUMENTARY

Post by Bob Wilton »

Dicam ex animo. Sed nostri evocatis, ut debemus eis libertatem.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: BOMBER COMMAND DOCUMENTARY

Post by AlanW »

Nice to see that one again. I remember it first time around, all those years ago, and still have the VHS recording in the attic.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Yes I've just watched it again, as an accurate record of daily life on a Bomber Command station it's an invaluable record.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Did you know that you can download the video to your computer? You can then burn it as a video onto a DVD through Windows Media Player....

Just follow the instructions.
Step 1- Find the video you want to save
Step 2- Go to the URL of the video and right before the "Youtube" type in "ss"
it should look like this ( www.ssyoutube)
Step 3- Pick your desired output
Step 4- Download the video

I've just gone through the process with this file and it worked like a dream!
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bob Wilton »

I found it by chance on the Australian National Archive site and it was very informative
to watch as it included everything that went on preparing the aircraft and crew for the
forthcoming operation.

Bob
Dicam ex animo. Sed nostri evocatis, ut debemus eis libertatem.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

It's a fine film - if you've not seen it before, worth noting that it's filmed in March 1945, but is scripted to portray a raid during the Battle of Berlin, a year earlier. The preparation sequences were filmed on 9th March, following cancellation of the night's operation shortly before briefing. The Senior Int Officer (who gives a part of the briefing) is W.E. Jones, who wrote the excellent book 'Bomber Intelligence'. The book adds spice to the film as it provides further background on some of the characters involved.

I remember 'Night Bombers' making its first appearance on the BBC when I was a teenager, as part of a double bill with the famous and -oft-repeated USAAF colour film (opening words 'This is a Front ... An Air Front ...') The front page of the Radio Times had a colour picture of a Lancaster and a B17 nose section - anyone else recall this? I suspect this screening is what W.E. Jones is referring to when he says:
...although I never saw the completed film, thirty-three years later I saw myself doing this briefing during a tribute to the Royal Air Force Diamond Jubilee on BBC television, and then a year later I was invited to appear in a filmed TV interview at the now derelict Hemswell Station with Air Commodore Couzens [who shot the film] and F/L Bob Chandler who played the part of F/O Harris in the film. The interview was for a complete showing of the Air Commodore's film in a programme produced by Brian Johnston called 'The Bombers'.
Cheers,

Richard